Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
Ma-auto, 17 November 2016, 23:05
I agree with all of you. I've been a member of this site for nearly 5 years, and nothing has changed other than the people. I barely post because I mainly shoot at events, and as Rivi said, Instagram is taking off due to the accessibility from phones. I use IG all the time because it's buzzing and there is a huge car community, even larger than this site which is dedicated to cars... Don't get me wrong, I still like this site, but I couldn't care less about checking regularly. You guys are still awesome, but Exoticspotter has been declining faster than ever.

Ma-auto
from Boston, Massachusetts
cargame_parker, 18 November 2016, 03:39
hyoung90 wrote:
Damn straight this site isn't as active as it used to be. Like Rivi said, not just ES.. but Flickr and any other social media has gone down as well. Partially because people could care less to go spotting anymore (case in point, me.) or there's just not enough time of the day to do such thing. It is quite sad and honestly in today's society, walking around and taking pictures of cars on the streets with an actual DSLR makes people think you're suspicious. Lastly, it's regretful to see that we have shifted back to the iPhonography days...Partially the main reason why Instagram for example, is blowing up like never before.
I do remember 3 years or so back, where a simple shot of an R8 could fetch at least 15-20 likes unfeatured. Sadly that's not the case anymore. Most users on here can agree that we rarely press the 'all' button and when we do, we rarely go pass the 1st or 2nd page. I guess that spotting is just a phase, and isn't destined to catch on.

We are at the tail end of the hypercar frenzy. The P1, 918 ect were things everyone wanted to go out and spot but people have seen them now so there's not really any desire to go out and spot. Also, the economy has been pretty good here in the US so seeing spots isn't as big of hype like I remember it. I remember around here me and Nick talking about seeing a Rolls in Charlotte which was REALLY rare but I saw one today and McDonalds and just took a snapchat.

cargame_parker
from Davidson , North Carolina
ethanmckinley1, 18 November 2016, 04:36
cargame_parker wrote:
hyoung90 wrote:
Damn straight this site isn't as active as it used to be. Like Rivi said, not just ES.. but Flickr and any other social media has gone down as well. Partially because people could care less to go spotting anymore (case in point, me.) or there's just not enough time of the day to do such thing. It is quite sad and honestly in today's society, walking around and taking pictures of cars on the streets with an actual DSLR makes people think you're suspicious. Lastly, it's regretful to see that we have shifted back to the iPhonography days...Partially the main reason why Instagram for example, is blowing up like never before.
I do remember 3 years or so back, where a simple shot of an R8 could fetch at least 15-20 likes unfeatured. Sadly that's not the case anymore. Most users on here can agree that we rarely press the 'all' button and when we do, we rarely go pass the 1st or 2nd page. I guess that spotting is just a phase, and isn't destined to catch on.

We are at the tail end of the hypercar frenzy. The P1, 918 ect were things everyone wanted to go out and spot but people have seen them now so there's not really any desire to go out and spot. Also, the economy has been pretty good here in the US so seeing spots isn't as big of hype like I remember it. I remember around here me and Nick talking about seeing a Rolls in Charlotte which was REALLY rare but I saw one today and McDonalds and just took a snapchat.

Wow, I have never seen a p1 in my life. Not even at a show. I have seen a laferrari once, but it was at a ferrari meet. And the only porsche 918 i have ever saw was at cars and coffee (actually happens to be a Weissach Pkg. in Martini Livery). You guys have it good. I'm jealous.

ethanmckinley1
from Portland, Oregon
FanOfSuperCars, 18 November 2016, 05:51
At this point in time it would seem in the next year this site will be pretty much dead. Shrinking amount of active members, decreasing amount of uploads, members losing incentive to post and more with no update in sight.. It's a shame to see a website that was very enjoyable and which has great potential die, but it looks like it's going to end up there in the near future unless big changes are made and made soon.
Last modified by FanOfSuperCars, 18 November 2016, 05:57

FanOfSuperCars
from Middle Of The Ocean, Unknown Country
obsidianspots, 18 November 2016, 09:31
We should all make exoticspotter.com flyers and like post them all over the place expecially in big citys. Colleges and stuff post it bruh we can make the change without mods even tho they could help too.

obsidianspots
from Rochester, New York
Mustang1, 18 November 2016, 14:33
ethanmckinley1 wrote:
cargame_parker wrote:
hyoung90 wrote:

Wow, I have never seen a p1 in my life. Not even at a show. I have seen a laferrari once, but it was at a ferrari meet. And the only porsche 918 i have ever saw was at cars and coffee (actually happens to be a Weissach Pkg. in Martini Livery). You guys have it good. I'm jealous.

I've seen a p1 and 4 918's, but never a laf, still on the hunt

Mustang1
from Chattanooga, Tennessee
ethanmckinley1, 18 November 2016, 15:20
Nice. Show or spot?

ethanmckinley1
from Portland, Oregon
Mustang1, 18 November 2016, 17:23
ethanmckinley1 wrote:
Nice. Show or spot?

all shows and dealerships

Mustang1
from Chattanooga, Tennessee
rivi3, 19 November 2016, 23:29
I've been here since 2011 and there has been absolutely no change to the website whatsoever besides spotter rankings, the now-defunct blog, and the forum. A big problem is that the photo resolution is terrible, and when the resolution on the forum is better than the actual "Upload Photos" section, that's how you know there's a problem.

Autogespot is a lot more enjoyable. Yeah sure it takes a little while to get used to the format, but there's the Spot of the Day competition, more cars are allowed, pseudo-spots are nonexistent, and it's easier to keep track of which cars you've spotted and which ones you still need to find. You can also search a car by its license plate to see if it's been spotted before. Plus, because the website was founded in the Netherlands, there are a lot more people on there from around the world. If ES could be like that, it would be amazing.

rivi3
from New York
rivi3, 19 November 2016, 23:37
sumosloths wrote:
I agree with you all here. It's really sad to say but spotting just isn't what it used to be. All the best photographers seem to have moved on to bigger and better things. The only website I use that still has a decent spotting scene is Facebook. I don't want to have to use Instagram man.

Agreed. Effspot doesn't take pictures anymore and instead vlogs, Alex Penfold just posts on IG now, and idk about anybody else.

Also I agree with you on the Instagram thing. Yeah it's great for getting your name out there but 1) it's a pain in the ass to try to square crop it (I know you can zoom out and get landscape but that leads to fewer likes) and 2) there is a huge sense of entitlement that comes along with it. The more followers somebody has, the more likely they are to be a self-entitled little sh*t in real life. I know I'm on IG and I have a few hundred followers, but I don't want to be so wrapped up in it where that happens to me.

rivi3
from New York
FanOfSuperCars, 20 November 2016, 00:13
rivi3 wrote:
sumosloths wrote:
I agree with you all here. It's really sad to say but spotting just isn't what it used to be. All the best photographers seem to have moved on to bigger and better things. The only website I use that still has a decent spotting scene is Facebook. I don't want to have to use Instagram man.

Agreed. Effspot doesn't take pictures anymore and instead vlogs, Alex Penfold just posts on IG now, and idk about anybody else.

Yeah RIP Effspot taking DSLR photos. But Alex Penfold still posts his photos on flickr aswell as IG.
Last modified by FanOfSuperCars, 20 November 2016, 00:15

FanOfSuperCars
from Middle Of The Ocean, Unknown Country
Mazdafreak, 20 November 2016, 01:03
If there was an ExoticSpotter app, or the site was otherwise more mobile device-friendly, I suspect we wouldn't even be having this discussion. There are actually a lot of car spotters out there. However, most of them take pictures with their phones, and accessibility/functionality is key for them, which is something ES continues to fail to provide.

ExoticSpotter doesn't really bring anything notable to the table. It seems to me that a lot of people already seem to want everything on one site (which is why social media is so huge now), so if an outsider site doesn't offer something compelling, few will have any motivation to join that site. ES needs something to set it apart from other sites, otherwise its base of users will continue to shrink.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
davisvehicles, 20 November 2016, 04:24
Seems to me that exoticspotter will be the next chasingexotics... except that site was even better but at the end there were just no active members. Autogespot is just awful. My photos got taken down for literally the stupidest reasons and I dont like taking a million pictures of one car so I just couldnt deal with that site. Instagram is for sure the way to go and I like it a lot, also facebook (but the only thing that makes instagram enjoyable is that I have a decent amount of followers). Just too bad there arent anymore solid car spotting websites.

davisvehicles
from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
rivi3, 20 November 2016, 04:45
davisvehicles wrote:
Seems to me that exoticspotter will be the next chasingexotics... except that site was even better but at the end there were just no active members. Autogespot is just awful. My photos got taken down for literally the stupidest reasons and I dont like taking a million pictures of one car so I just couldnt deal with that site. Instagram is for sure the way to go and I like it a lot, also facebook (but the only thing that makes instagram enjoyable is that I have a decent amount of followers). Just too bad there arent anymore solid car spotting websites.

The standards for AG are high for sure. You gotta make sure you get solid pictures of every car you spot with the plate visible. What reasons did they give for your spots being deleted?

rivi3
from New York
DjShift, 20 November 2016, 05:11
AG is the worst site ever as far as format goes. I can't even figure out how to join that website.

ES is still the best and I don't think it needs an upgrade, I just think these new rules (and removal of the old ones) are ruining it. I don't want to see pseudo-spots and I hate the spotter ranking system. I say we go back to the 1-10 scale and make ES great again.

DjShift
from Sodus Point, New York
Post a reply