Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
rivi3, 30 January 2017, 03:54
What sucks is that I'm guilty of being one of those stupid kids chasing down the cars too, but I only do it because I want to capture the memory and have something to look back on. I love getting the best shot possible because I'm an artist and I've already graduated my technical school with a two-year certificate in graphic design, and hoping to pursue graphic design as a career choice. I could care less about followers (although there are times when I do, I'm not gonna lie about that one). I took over 2,000 photos total during Historics Festival 34 at Lime Rock Park and so far I have only posted about 9 or 10 photos from it. I take those photos mainly for my own enjoyment and I love scrolling through them when I'm bored.

God can we just go back to the Flickr days? Where we didn't have to worry about square-cropping and people actually appreciated high-quality pictures on a big screen? And the vast majority of the audience there were adults who were professional photographers who actually know how to take a picture? Those were the best tbh...
Last modified by rivi3, 30 January 2017, 03:56

rivi3
from New York
911gt3rsfan, 30 January 2017, 04:22
Yeah I never jump in front of a car while spotting I just stay on the sides. As for shows, I just find a good spot and film/ take pics from there.

Before Instagram, I remember posting pictures on this site, and whether it be a Granturismo or Aventador, trying to get as much likes as possible and "good shot" comments as possible, with the ultimate goal being getting editors choice (which I actually got once). Now it's all Instagram likes. Can't we go back to the days before Instagram? Those were the days.
Last modified by 911gt3rsfan, 30 January 2017, 04:36

911gt3rsfan
from Summit, New Jersey
lemurking13, 30 January 2017, 04:30
All the Boston carspotter kids are dicks. Plain and simple. A few of them are actually nice but 90% are intolerable[/quote]

Heeyyyyyy now, come on, I think Im a very friendly person! Just one who loves cars and loves taking pictures of cars. On topic though I miss this site alot.

lemurking13
from Yarmouth, Maine
pdkcars, 30 January 2017, 04:37
VolvoMan05 wrote:
-snip-

Telling it like it is. It really sucks. I was so excited to find a big car community on IG only for it to end up like this. And people in the area have stopped spotting altogether probably because of what it's associated with. I don't know what to say to them because I'm kind of iffy they think I'm one of those kids. They just have that attitude. Like I'll ask them something or comment and won't even get a response. Someone else does the same and they talk to them. Like really? I'm doing my own thing. I just like to go to the market, then see what's in the area, same with the mall. It's fun. All of this drama and the reputation around spotting just sucks all of the fun out of it.

I still miss your IG btw, it was one of the few genuine spotting pages.

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
davisvehicles, 30 January 2017, 06:17
I do really really miss the days when almost everything posted here, whether it be a grantuirsmo or 430 Scuderia or Aventador was appreciated. Everybody commented on peoples posts, it was a very positive atmosphere. I also really miss Chasingexotics. That was the best site for car spotting. Everbody was friendly and you could post whatever you liked and people would appreciate it! It was also extremely well laid out without it feeling outdated. Now, everything hardly gets any attention on this site or flickr, even if its something amazing and a good shot! I do enjoy instagram sometimes, but not as much as I did with a website like this or chasingexotics back in the good days. Instagram really has brought out some awfully annoying leapers that are ruining the scene. Insane crowds of leapers at every show with everybody trying to get the best shot is extremely annoying. I just straight up enjoy randomly seeing exotics and want to take a picture of it to share with people who also like cars. And even though instagram is good for that sometimes, its brought out way too many annoying little kids. Its not going to stop me from taking pictures from cars, because I still love doing that, but its making car shows much more annoying. Flickr and some facebook groups are the only places I enjoy sharing my photos anymore.

davisvehicles
from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Ma-auto, 30 January 2017, 21:32
lemurking13 wrote:
All the Boston carspotter kids are dicks. Plain and simple. A few of them are actually nice but 90% are intolerable

Heeyyyyyy now, come on, I think Im a very friendly person! Just one who loves cars and loves taking pictures of cars. On topic though I miss this site alot.[/quote]

Agreed, you've been a really great guy for the years I've known you. But you take a look at the other Boston spotters and you might have to take a step back. There's this one kid (who won't be named), and his parents paid for his full frame Canon (forget the model) and a 50 1.4, 50 1.8, and a 24-70 or some sh*t. His parents also paid for his trip to Car Week, and he complained about going a day after it started, rather than the full week. He also ran an Instagram account (that he started around mid-2016, after he had deleted his old account because of roasting from other spotters (he had been complaining about a ton of dumb cr*p he didn't pay for so everyone was going off on him)), the account gained followers peculiarly fast, and his likes were also ridiculous for his followers - like an average of 500 or so. Right after his parents bought something else ridiculously expensive for him, he deleted his current IG account for absolutely no reason, out of the blue.

I run an Insta account solely for the connections and friendships that I've made. I have just over 1600 followers, average about 100 likes, and have been using the same tags for a year and a half. Likes don't matter much to me, but it's nice to see when things get a lot, you know? I alternate between posting stance and exotics, and usually they get equal likes (sometimes stance gets less) which is nice to see.

In conclusion, most Boston spotters are knobs. Hell, they even bully me on a regular basis. But I brush it off because at this point, they mean nothing to me. The ones I've befriended are the ones who aren't spoiled, aren't sassy, aren't fake, and care.
Last modified by Ma-auto, 30 January 2017, 21:34

Ma-auto
from Boston, Massachusetts
VolvoMan05, 31 January 2017, 02:06
This post was deleted 31 January 2017, 02:12 by VolvoMan05

VolvoMan05
VolvoMan05, 31 January 2017, 02:11
pdkcars wrote:

Number one: thanks so much for your comment regarding my IG, I feel I've accomplished something in my life for once lol. I really try to provide content that makes people want to enjoy, and I just want to share with others my passion for cars by showing what the car community should be I enjoyed your IG as well, one of my favorites during my short time on the app. It paints a picture of what the car community should actually be; often times I visit your page to check and see what's new in your area. But as far as I'm concerned, I won't be returning to IG until all the ignorance is gone.

Number two: If you think Boston car spotters are annoying, take a gentle stroll down south to the DMV area and you'll want to go back in a heart beat. There's deluded kids who think they have the best pictures in the world (and they certainly demonstrate that through their posts and personalities) when they actually understand jackshit about photography and cars in general and yet somehow they end up with high end gear that is comparable to that of a professional photographer who does photography as a lifetime job. The only things in their heads are "LIKES LIKES LIKES EXPENSIVE sh*t LIKES LIKES LIKES ONLY SUPERCARS LIKES LIKES LIKES" That's why I seriously don't want to put up with that and no longer want to even be part of the so called car community. Just makes me lose brain cells honestly.

VolvoMan05
VolvoMan05, 31 January 2017, 02:11
This post was deleted 31 January 2017, 02:12 by VolvoMan05

VolvoMan05
Star080, 31 January 2017, 02:15
VolvoMan05 wrote:
Honestly, car spotters everywhere (at least in the US for all I know and care of) is just a bunch of cancerous and selfish little kids running around with no respect for the owners and other people. They have no care for anything/anyone else except their social media status, and there's like 0.1% that aren't like that. It just goes to show how stupid and arrogant a lot of the car community has slowly become. I dropped my Instagram account because spotters in my area are just absolutely cancerous and hell to even bother knowing.

I mostly follow the spotters in my area/spotters that I know in real life on my IG account, and I do not care about my followers at all. I only followed like 40 people on my IG account.
I also found and met some pretty annoying pricks of the Chinese spotting community when I went back to China.

Star080
rivi3, 08 February 2017, 21:10
Has anybody tried posting stuff on tumblr? I find the car tag there much more aesthetically pleasing than IG. Lots of diversity with cars including exotics, jdm and classics. The best part is that it's more photography-oriented rather than just iphonetography and saying "LOOK AT DIS LAMBO FOLLOW ME".

Like there's people on there with some serious photo talent.
Last modified by rivi3, 08 February 2017, 21:12

rivi3
from New York
VolvoMan05, 09 February 2017, 03:22
rivi3 wrote:
Has anybody tried posting stuff on tumblr? I find the car tag there much more aesthetically pleasing than IG. Lots of diversity with cars including exotics, jdm and classics. The best part is that it's more photography-oriented rather than just iphonetography and saying "LOOK AT DIS LAMBO FOLLOW ME".

Nope, but glad to hear there's somewhere that people actually appreciate the photos and diversity.

VolvoMan05
DjShift, 09 February 2017, 03:26
I find the most professional photography site to be 500px by far. Has the highest image quality, best photographers, best layout, and best app. Only problem is there isn't a huge population of automotive photography on there.

DjShift
from Sodus Point, New York
Vinchops, 09 February 2017, 18:57
VolvoMan05 wrote:
rivi3 wrote:

Nope, but glad to hear there's somewhere that people actually appreciate the photos and diversity.

use reddit and flickr. there are tons of good car, carspotting and photography subreddits, and flickr is the best in terms of appreciating photography imo.

Vinchops
from GTA, Canada
rivi3, 20 February 2017, 22:23
Lemme tell you guys why the whole "ignore the trolls" rhetoric doesn't always work with a story about something that happened over the weekend:

Everybody in the spotter group I'm (unfortunately) a part of knows that I'm friends with a very well-respected car owner and his two twin daughters who go to my school. Two nights ago, one of them started making really sexually charged comments about them over the Xbox Live party including jokes about raping them, how one is hotter than the other, and all that other stuff. I was really uncomfortable with it and everybody was laughing. I didn't think very much of it.

Yesterday I hosted a Q&A session on my Instagram account where I was livestreaming West Putnam Avenue in Greenwich while answering questions from my viewers. This photographer went onto another troll account and pretended to be a 17-year-old girl. He started spamming sh*t like "Yo you dtf?" and "Can you come over tonight?" and just stupid stuff like that. I was just ignoring it the entire time.

Then, one of the car collector's daughters came into the livestream and said hello. I said "Hey what's up?" as usual. All of the sudden, this photographer starts sexually harassing her by spamming stuff in the chat like "I'M GONNA CUM ALL OVER YOUR TITS BRING YOUR HOT SISTER TOO"

At that point, I had to immediately end the livestream and apologize to her saying I don't support that kind of behavior. I told her who it was that was doing it and for both her and her sister to block them.

THIS is why I have such a problem with "ignoring it". You can hurt me, but once you start hurting my friends, who I love and care about very much, that's the end of the line.

rivi3
from New York
Post a reply