Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
waddle2gracious, 16 July 2017, 03:40
gregg wrote:
A quick moderation update:

I have chosen King_AM to be the interim moderator. I'll be providing guidelines for him over the next few days, and will also publish detailed spotter guidelines - so you guys know all the rules and what we look for when selecting featured photos.

If you have any feedback so far, let me know.

Gregg

Cool- thanks for the update! Looking forward to the changes.

waddle2gracious
from Florida
dandude999, 16 July 2017, 07:51
gregg wrote:

I have chosen King_AM to be the interim moderator. I'll be providing guidelines for him over the next few days, and will also publish detailed spotter guidelines - so you guys know all the rules and what we look for when selecting featured photos.

Gregg

Thanks for the update ( :
Last modified by dandude999, 16 July 2017, 07:51

dandude999
from Reading, United Kingdom
rivi3, 16 July 2017, 23:35
gregg wrote:

Gregg

Glad there is no more of this "secret moderator" bullshit that plagued the website. Hats off to you for actually telling us who the new mod is.

Quick question: how did you determine who the new mod would be?

rivi3
from New York
ALB15, 17 July 2017, 00:03
AWESOME!!!!

ALB15
DjShift, 18 July 2017, 02:22
rivi3 wrote:
gregg wrote:

Gregg

Glad there is no more of this "secret moderator" bullshit that plagued the website. Hats off to you for actually telling us who the new mod is.

I would guess he was chosen based on amount of posts, activity, and ranking.

DjShift
from Sodus Point, New York
Ferrarifanman, 19 July 2017, 16:39
DjShift wrote:
rivi3 wrote:
gregg wrote:

Gregg

I think gregg chose King_AM because of how often he posts (pretty much every day), and the passion he's shown for this site. I think Ashoor is a great choice for a moderator, I'm sure he'll help make ES better.

Ferrarifanman
Lamborarri, 19 July 2017, 21:32
Ferrarifanman wrote:
DjShift wrote:
rivi3 wrote:
gregg wrote:

Gregg

I think gregg chose King_AM because of how often he posts (pretty much every day), and the passion he's shown for this site. I think Ashoor is a great choice for a moderator, I'm sure he'll help make ES better.

^

I'm glad to see that there actually seems to be a genuine focus in making this site what it was when I joined over three years ago, and more-so before then, hopefully with less drama. Originally I was planning to leave after posting one more insane spot, but I think I'll be sticking around a little while longer now, with the new and more promising promise of an update that will take ES back to its former glory.

Lamborarri
from Illinois
waddle2gracious, 20 July 2017, 04:13
gregg wrote:
Gregg

I have a suggestion; this is another parameter regarding the featuring of photos from here on, when the changes are published/implemented. I've suggested this before, and I feel now is the appropriate time to bring it up once again:

Location-Based Featuring

I'm anxious to hear some feedback from others on this, but the general idea rides on how rare a car is within that area. Now, I know what some may be thinking, "Here come the Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, etc." No- cars must widely be considered expensive and at least moderately 'exotic.' Here's an example: an Aston Martin DB9 is spotted in Indiantown, FL. There are likely zero exotics in this little town. It's a low-income, low-population town, so spotting a car like that is a very rare occurrence. Should one photo of the car be featured? If the shot is of decent quality, my vote is yes. This is also applicable for spotters in areas where exotics may only be somewhat common. Example: finding a 650S Spider in a somewhat exotic city is the equivalent to seeing an F12tdf in Beverly Hills.

Now regarding implementation, I am concerned about how to enforce this. To find whether a car is truly rare to see in a given city, the spotter is essentially the only person to ask in order to find out. This leaves the possibility that spotters could just say, "Yeah, it's crazy rare!" Here are some possibilities of enforcement:
-View satellite images to judge wealth of area (house/land sizes, presence of country clubs, waterfront property, etc.)
-Search residential prices on websites like Zillow to judge wealth of area
-Find census income data for the area of the spotted car

Then again, could this process be too involved just to determine whether a spot/picture should be featured? Maybe. Anxious to see what others think. Feel free to quote and respond, or you could also yell at me xD

waddle2gracious
from Florida
dandude999, 20 July 2017, 07:03
This post was deleted 20 July 2017, 07:03 by dandude999

dandude999
dandude999, 20 July 2017, 07:03
"waddle2gracious wrote:
I have a suggestion; this is another parameter regarding the featuring of photos from here on, when the changes are published/implemented. I've suggested this before, and I feel now is the appropriate time to bring it up once again:

Location-Based Featuring

I'm anxious to hear some feedback from others on this, but the general idea rides on how rare a car is within that area. Now, I know what some may be thinking, "Here come the Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, etc." No- cars must widely be considered expensive and at least moderately 'exotic.' Here's an example: an Aston Martin DB9 is spotted in Indiantown, FL. There are likely zero exotics in this little town. It's a low-income, low-population town, so spotting a car like that is a very rare occurrence. Should one photo of the car be featured? If the shot is of decent quality, my vote is yes. This is also applicable for spotters in areas where exotics may only be somewhat common. Example: finding a 650S Spider in a somewhat exotic city is the equivalent to seeing an F12tdf in Beverly Hills.

Now regarding implementation, I am concerned about how to enforce this. To find whether a car is truly rare to see in a given city, the spotter is essentially the only person to ask in order to find out. This leaves the possibility that spotters could just say, "Yeah, it's crazy rare!" Here are some possibilities of enforcement:
-View satellite images to judge wealth of area (house/land sizes, presence of country clubs, waterfront property, etc.)
-Search residential prices on websites like Zillow to judge wealth of area
-Find census income data for the area of the spotted car

Then again, could this process be too involved just to determine whether a spot/picture should be featured? Maybe. Anxious to see what others think. Feel free to quote and respond, or you could also yell at me xD

That's actually a pretty good idea imo.

dandude999
dandude999, 20 July 2017, 07:10
gregg wrote:

Gregg

I don't know if this is possible at all but maybe try to advertise the site more on the Facebook and Twitter profiles to attract more members.

Also, I think you should add more categories ( e.g. McLaren 720s, Ferrari 812 Superfast, etc... ) and subcategories ( e.g. Lamborghini Aventador LP750-4 SuperVeloce, Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4 Spyder, etc... ).

dandude999
gregg, 20 July 2017, 16:27
Regarding location based featuring, that's something that is already figured into the equation (when moderation is implemented correctly, which it will be soon and I will post all guidelines and rules so everyone knows what's to be expected). It's basically part of the "randomness" of the spot. The more random the spotting (which includes location), the less stringent we will be on the quality of the photo and the rareness of vehicle.

for example, if this shot was taken in Beverly Hills, it probably wouldn't have been featured because those vehicles aren't that rare there:
http://www.exoticspotter.com/ferrari-california-middleton-wisconsin-240288

This also applies in reverse to areas that have high concentration of exotics. Just because you "spot" the Bugatti on Rodeo Drive and take a nice, high quality picture of it, doesn't mean it will be featured. that's too easy, same goes for certain hotels.

Having moderators be aware of the location is the best we can do at this time. Implementing software that will check location population and likelihood of exotics being there or not being there would be a big waste of our time and resources when there are tons of other features we need to add and improve, plus that would only motivate some people to lie about the location.

gregg
waddle2gracious, 20 July 2017, 16:38
gregg wrote:
Regarding location based featuring, that's something that is already figured into the equation (when moderation is implemented correctly, which it will be soon and I will post all guidelines and rules so everyone knows what's to be expected). It's basically part of the "randomness" of the spot. The more random the spotting (which includes location), the less stringent we will be on the quality of the photo and the rareness of vehicle.

for example, if this shot was taken in Beverly Hills, it probably wouldn't have been featured because those vehicles aren't that rare there:
http://www.exoticspotter.com/ferrari-california-middleton-wisconsin-240288

This also applies in reverse to areas that have high concentration of exotics. Just because you "spot" the Bugatti on Rodeo Drive and take a nice, high quality picture of it, doesn't mean it will be featured. that's too easy, same goes for certain hotels.

Having moderators be aware of the location is the best we can do at this time. Implementing software that will check location population and likelihood of exotics being there or not being there would be a big waste of our time and resources when there are tons of other features we need to add and improve, plus that would only motivate some people to lie about the location.

Ok, good to see it will be somewhat implemented upon proper moderation. Thanks for the response!
Last modified by waddle2gracious, 20 July 2017, 16:39

waddle2gracious
from Florida
Star080, 20 July 2017, 21:24
waddle2gracious wrote:
gregg wrote:
Gregg

Location-Based Featuring

This reminds me the question that you have asked me in Bal Harbour...

When I am in Canada/the States, I don't even look at Vettes/Vipers. However, if I find a Vette in China I am definitely gonna take some photos of it (Corvettes are rarer than Aventadors in China). And if I find a Viper in China I am possibly going to freak out cuz Vipers are even rarer than LaFerraris there. Same thing, if I find a Toyota Crown (a very common car in Asia) in North America, I am definitely going to take some photos of it.
Last modified by Star080, 20 July 2017, 21:25

Star080
Mazdafreak, 20 July 2017, 21:46
waddle2gracious wrote:
gregg wrote:
Gregg

Location-Based Featuring

I think most of us probably know by now which cities regularly produce super exotic cars, and which ones are hard to even spot a Bentley or Maserati in, so honestly I think it would be better to just go on spotting activity than statistical data. The reason I say this is because you can get a pretty nice house in most areas for $400,000, but that would barely be enough to buy a starter home other areas (I'm looking at you, Greenwich, Newport Beach, and San Fransisco).

Income data can also be hard to judge. Take the town of Cary, NC, for example; with an estimated population of ~160,000 people as of 2015, it is one of the larger suburbs in America, and its median household income of ~$111,000 is certainly one of the highest in America considering the town's population. There are exotics squirreled away all over Cary, but you hardly ever see any of them. Since I got into cars and started taking notice of them, I think I've seen three Aston Martins and five or six Bentleys in Cary over the course of about 10 YEARS. And this is in a town with both a larger median household income and population than Beverly Hills!

So basically, the numbers can be misleading, but obviously a Bentley spotted in the Carolinas (with the exception of Charlotte) is going to be a better spot than a Bentley in Beverly Hills or Miami.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
Post a reply