Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
michealm, 20 July 2017, 21:58
gregg wrote:
Regarding location based featuring, that's something that is already figured into the equation (when moderation is implemented correctly, which it will be soon and I will post all guidelines and rules so everyone knows what's to be expected). It's basically part of the "randomness" of the spot. The more random the spotting (which includes location), the less stringent we will be on the quality of the photo and the rareness of vehicle.

for example, if this shot was taken in Beverly Hills, it probably wouldn't have been featured because those vehicles aren't that rare there:
http://www.exoticspotter.com/ferrari-california-middleton-wisconsin-240288

This also applies in reverse to areas that have high concentration of exotics. Just because you "spot" the Bugatti on Rodeo Drive and take a nice, high quality picture of it, doesn't mean it will be featured. that's too easy, same goes for certain hotels.

Having moderators be aware of the location is the best we can do at this time. Implementing software that will check location population and likelihood of exotics being there or not being there would be a big waste of our time and resources when there are tons of other features we need to add and improve, plus that would only motivate some people to lie about the location.

I mean this in the most polite way, but how is this so-called update different than the one that has been promised to us for the past five years and has never come?
Deleted account
waddle2gracious, 20 July 2017, 23:11
Mazdafreak wrote:
waddle2gracious wrote:
gregg wrote:
If you have any feedback so far, let me know.
Gregg

I have a suggestion; this is another parameter regarding the featuring of photos from here on, when the changes are published/implemented. I've suggested this before, and I feel now is the appropriate time to bring it up once again:

Location-Based Featuring

I think most of us probably know by now which cities regularly produce super exotic cars, and which ones are hard to even spot a Bentley or Maserati in, so honestly I think it would be better to just go on spotting activity than statistical data. The reason I say this is because you can get a pretty nice house in most areas for $400,000, but that would barely be enough to buy a starter home other areas (I'm looking at you, Greenwich, Newport Beach, and San Fransisco).

Income data can also be hard to judge. Take the town of Cary, NC, for example; with an estimated population of ~160,000 people as of 2015, it is one of the larger suburbs in America, and its median household income of ~$111,000 is certainly one of the highest in America considering the town's population. There are exotics squirreled away all over Cary, but you hardly ever see any of them. Since I got into cars and started taking notice of them, I think I've seen three Aston Martins and five or six Bentleys in Cary over the course of about 10 YEARS. And this is in a town with both a larger median household income and population than Beverly Hills!

So basically, the numbers can be misleading, but obviously a Bentley spotted in the Carolinas (with the exception of Charlotte) is going to be a better spot than a Bentley in Beverly Hills or Miami.

Good points, thanks for the feedback. Very surprising about the Cary story, quite unusual indeed.

waddle2gracious
from Florida
waddle2gracious, 20 July 2017, 23:18
Star080 wrote:
waddle2gracious wrote:
gregg wrote:
If you have any feedback so far, let me know.
Gregg

Location-Based Featuring

I'm anxious to hear some feedback from others on this, but the general idea rides on how rare a car is within that area. Now, I know what some may be thinking, "Here come the Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, etc." No- cars must widely be considered expensive and at least moderately 'exotic.' Here's an example: an Aston Martin DB9 is spotted in Indiantown, FL. There are likely zero exotics in this little town. It's a low-income, low-population town, so spotting a car like that is a very rare occurrence. Should one photo of the car be featured? If the shot is of decent quality, my vote is yes. This is also applicable for spotters in areas where exotics may only be somewhat common. Example: finding a 650S Spider in a somewhat exotic city is the equivalent to seeing an F12tdf in Beverly Hills.

This reminds me the question that you have asked me in Bal Harbour...

When I am in Canada/the States, I don't even look at Vettes/Vipers. However, if I find a Vette in China I am definitely gonna take some photos of it (Corvettes are rarer than Aventadors in China). And if I find a Viper in China I am possibly going to freak out cuz Vipers are even rarer than LaFerraris there. Same thing, if I find a Toyota Crown (a very common car in Asia) in North America, I am definitely going to take some photos of it.

While I understand Corvettes are rare outside of North America (but insanely common within), I would even consider Vipers to be uncommon here in the U.S. Even living in Florida, I probably see a whopping 40 or 50 Corvettes (not including dealers, if I did it would maybe be around 60 or 70) before I see a Viper. If it weren't for the two Vipers I regularly see that belong to the same person, I would only see a Viper maybe once a month, if I'm lucky. I could only imagine how rare they are over in China!

waddle2gracious
from Florida
gregg, 20 July 2017, 23:20
michealm wrote:
I mean this in the most polite way, but how is this so-called update different than the one that has been promised to us for the past five years and has never come?

This isn't the promised update. We're just trying to get reliable and consistent moderation setup right now, with rules and guidelines written down so everyone knows what's expected. Let's just call this step 1, we're still working on doing a full revamp of the site. But getting the moderation consistent and reliable is like the foundation, a very important step in the right direction.

gregg
Mtweedel13, 21 July 2017, 15:42
waddle2gracious wrote:
While I understand Corvettes are rare outside of North America (but insanely common within), I would even consider Vipers to be uncommon here in the U.S. Even living in Florida, I probably see a whopping 40 or 50 Corvettes (not including dealers, if I did it would maybe be around 60 or 70) before I see a Viper. If it weren't for the two Vipers I regularly see that belong to the same person, I would only see a Viper maybe once a month, if I'm lucky. I could only imagine how rare they are over in China!

Went on a trip to Blue Ridge, GA, yesterday, and probably saw 50 Corvettes before seeing a Viper in Downtown Atlanta

Mtweedel13
from Riverview, Florida
gregg, 23 July 2017, 03:01
We just added a new feature today - Status updates for your submissions.

These can be found in your account page (http://www.exoticspotter.com/spotter-account/) , under the link called "Moderator Feedback". Here's the direct link: http://www.exoticspotter.com/moderation-feedback/

You will be notified whether your photos were approved, featured, or rejected. And we will provide comments on some photos as to why they weren't featured or why they were deleted if there is potential for confusion - or just to help you improve your photos in the future.

As we get better at moderating (and do it more often), we will be getting rid of the auto posting feature. There won't be a need for it since moderation will happen quickly - no more waiting forever for photos to be approved!

More details to come on Monday...

gregg
waddle2gracious, 23 July 2017, 03:44
gregg wrote:
We just added a new feature today - Status updates for your submissions.

These can be found in your account page (http://www.exoticspotter.com/spotter-account/) , under the link called "Moderator Feedback". Here's the direct link: http://www.exoticspotter.com/moderation-feedback/

You will be notified whether your photos were approved, featured, or rejected. And we will provide comments on some photos as to why they weren't featured or why they were deleted if there is potential for confusion - or just to help you improve your photos in the future.

As we get better at moderating (and do it more often), we will be getting rid of the auto posting feature. There won't be a need for it since moderation will happen quickly - no more waiting forever for photos to be approved!

More details to come on Monday...

Ah good to see this. A much-needed update, especially the feedback comments.

Perhaps we should start a new forum thread for site updates?
Last modified by waddle2gracious, 23 July 2017, 03:45

waddle2gracious
from Florida
gregg, 24 July 2017, 19:04
2 things:

I wrote a detailed guide explaining our rules, guidelines, and how we decide which photos get featured. This will hopefully answer a lot of your questions. Let me know if anything needs clarifying.

How to Get Your Photos Featured

------

King_AM is now officially moderating all photos. There are no auto-approved photos, each photo will go into the queue, where King_AM will moderate each one to make sure it meets minimum quality standards and to feature the best ones.

Please bear with us over the next couple of weeks as we're in training mode. I will be guiding him during this time. There may be photos that get featured that shouldn't be there, and vice-versa. Also, we will eventually add more moderators so that your photos are reviewed within an hour. But for the time being, photos may take up to 24 hours to be reviewed, so keep that in mind.

Since King_AM is also a spotter, I will make final decisions on whether his photos get approved or featured. If any of you want to report a problem or concern, please message me directly.

thanks

- Gregg

gregg
waddle2gracious, 19 January 2018, 16:21
Just read through this whole thread again- ah, good times.

waddle2gracious
from Florida
FanOfSuperCars, 20 January 2018, 03:28
waddle2gracious wrote:
Just read through this whole thread again- ah, good times.

remember the update that is supposed to come?

i don't either

FanOfSuperCars
from Middle Of The Ocean, Unknown Country
Post a reply