Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
UtahCarSpotter, 30 November 2017, 04:09
Mustang7 wrote:
I while back I decided that I just don’t care what people think of me.

True I've never cared what people who don't think, think. I mainly get the people who see you taking a photo and want to be the center of attention by trying to talk loud enough for everyone to hear them. They usually try to talk about the car as if they know anything about it. I heard a lady say a 458 Spider retails for $90,000. Or I hear husbands trying to make their wives think they know what they're talking about. A lady said she'd rather have a stingray corvette over a 458.

Only time anyone said something to me was a time I was taking a picture of a Bentley in a non private parking garage. A guy got out of his Sonata and was walking towards the exit while looking at me and after about 10 seconds he got courageous enough to break his silence and asked if he could help me with something.... Obviously he knew that was a dumb question he could plainly see I was just interested in someone else's exotic and it was none of his business. So I gave him a confused look as if he asked something dumb. I quickly muttered nope... I don't need help with anything can I help you? He stood there awkwardly not knowing how to respond then just shrunk away into the shadows where his sneaky snake self lives.

UtahCarSpotter
from Salt Lake City, Utah
waddle2gracious, 30 November 2017, 05:02
UtahCarSpotter wrote:
Mustang7 wrote:

True I've never cared what people who don't think, think. I mainly get the people who see you taking a photo and want to be the center of attention by trying to talk loud enough for everyone to hear them. They usually try to talk about the car as if they know anything about it. I heard a lady say a 458 Spider retails for $90,000. Or I hear husbands trying to make their wives think they know what they're talking about. A lady said she'd rather have a stingray corvette over a 458.

Goodness you have no idea how much this irks me. I always ensure to ignore these people, but they do get on my nerves.

waddle2gracious
from Florida
UtahCarSpotter, 30 November 2017, 15:07
911gt3rsfan wrote:
I was taking pics of a Maserati Quattroporte in town last week, and the women asked me why I was taking pics of her car, so I told her because it was Maserati. She didn't say anything after that, so I assumed she was okay with it. Then I took a picture of the back, and the woman literally got out of her car and told me to stop. One of the very few bad experiences I had with owners.

She chooses to get Bothered by the fact that her license plate might be in a photo Even though hundreds of people see her License plateevery day. If her license plate is meant to Be seen by the public I don't know why she thinks people can't take photos in public. Yeah because having a license plate in A photoMeans that people are going to know Everything about you including your bank account credit cardInformation social security number all your kids names and ages and the fact that you sneak out of bed at 1:00 in the morning to raid the refrigerator every night. People are so brainless.

UtahCarSpotter
from Salt Lake City, Utah
Mazdafreak, 30 November 2017, 22:54
UtahCarSpotter wrote:

I'd take a Corvette over a 458 if I had the means. The Corvette Grand Sport is actually quicker around VIR than the 458 Italia, plus the lack of an available manual transmission in the Ferrari is a deal-breaker for me.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
waddle2gracious, 01 December 2017, 00:59
Mazdafreak wrote:
UtahCarSpotter wrote:

I'd take a Corvette over a 458 if I had the means. The Corvette Grand Sport is actually quicker around VIR than the 458 Italia, plus the lack of an available manual transmission in the Ferrari is a deal-breaker for me.

@Mazdafreak What if the 458 Speciale/Speciale Aperta was offered with a gated six or seven speed? xD

waddle2gracious
from Florida
Mazdafreak, 06 December 2017, 04:30
waddle2gracious wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:
UtahCarSpotter wrote:

@Mazdafreak What if the 458 Speciale/Speciale Aperta was offered with a gated six or seven speed? xD

I don't think any of us could comprehend the sheer amount of awesomeness that a gated 458 Speciale would encompass :O

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
pdkcars, 07 December 2017, 03:21
waddle2gracious wrote:
UtahCarSpotter wrote:
Mustang7 wrote:

Goodness you have no idea how much this irks me. I always ensure to ignore these people, but they do get on my nerves.

Happened to me last Friday lol. Some random guy walking by asked me how much the GT4 retailed for as I was taking pictures and I said around 90K. He said 150k something as if he was trying to correct me. I was just kind of like "eh okay" and kept taking pictures lol.

@MazdaFreak - I can understand why you feel that way as people prefer different cars for different reasons. I'd prefer a 458 because I love everything from the design to the craftsmanship, heritage, etc.

What I feel like that lady was implying is that the 458 wasn't all that though. I've read/heard a lot of BS talked by jealous people trying to say something they can't possibly afford isn't all that just to feel better and it's silly.
Last modified by pdkcars, 07 December 2017, 03:21

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
dandude999, 28 April 2018, 18:46
I was taking pictures of a nicely specced Audi RS6 and the owner ran to the car and asked me to delete the photos because he didn't want anyone to have the plate, which I understand. However this was the first time this has ever happened to me so I was a bit shook to be honest. Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so how often does it happen?

Every owner I have talked to other than that one though has been really nice and some even rev the car and accelerate for me. I find valets tend to be really nice. For example the valet at Oceans 234 in Deerfield Beach, Florida let me sit in both cars he had there. Also, in London one of the valets let me sit in an SLS AMG and parked it up while I was in it.
Last modified by dandude999, 28 April 2018, 18:50

dandude999
from Reading, United Kingdom
pdkcars, 28 April 2018, 22:26
dandude999 wrote:
I was taking pictures of a nicely specced Audi RS6 and the owner ran to the car and asked me to delete the photos because he didn't want anyone to have the plate, which I understand. However this was the first time this has ever happened to me so I was a bit shook to be honest. Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so how often does it happen?

Never. I'd say the owner is a complete dick and paranoid. I was taking pictures of one of the first US-spec Audi RS5 B9s in San Antonio yesterday, and the owner strolled by shocked that I noticed his car and then we talked about RS5s and photography. He already had state plates, not personalized either, and I doubt the thought crossed his mind.

This "oh the plate" this and "the plate that" bullshit is either just an excuse for "I don't want you to get pictures period" or they're just incredibly ignorant. I'm sorry. The more nice owners I meet, two yesterday, the less I understand these paranoid owners who have a problem because of "plates" it's garbage. You're on public property and thousands of people probably see your plate every day. So there's no excuse.

On top of that, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can ever force you to delete pictures you've taken. It doesn't matter if you're on public or private property. That's illegal. Not even a cop can force you, let alone look at your pictures. Period. The only exception, I can imagine, would probably be on government property.

Most owners have no problem, most valets don't care unless they're new and don't know anything, and I've had owners let me sit in their cars like the rare DupontRegistry verde ermes Huracan. So I just ignore any rude owners or valets or security guards.
Last modified by pdkcars, 28 April 2018, 22:28

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
dandude999, 29 April 2018, 06:53
pdkcars wrote:
Never. I'd say the owner is a complete dick and paranoid. I was taking pictures of one of the first US-spec Audi RS5 B9s in San Antonio yesterday, and the owner strolled by shocked that I noticed his car and then we talked about RS5s and photography. He already had state plates, not personalized either, and I doubt the thought crossed his mind.

This "oh the plate" this and "the plate that" bullshit is either just an excuse for "I don't want you to get pictures period" or they're just incredibly ignorant. I'm sorry. The more nice owners I meet, two yesterday, the less I understand these paranoid owners who have a problem because of "plates" it's garbage. You're on public property and thousands of people probably see your plate every day. So there's no excuse.

On top of that, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can ever force you to delete pictures you've taken. It doesn't matter if you're on public or private property. That's illegal. Not even a cop can force you, let alone look at your pictures. Period. The only exception, I can imagine, would probably be on government property.

Most owners have no problem, most valets don't care unless they're new and don't know anything, and I've had owners let me sit in their cars like the rare DupontRegistry verde ermes Huracan. So I just ignore any rude owners or valets or security guards.

Thanks for letting me know. All I can think is that he was a bit of a dodgy guy and was up to some crime or some sh*t like that to be honest, especially since he ran out of where he was and seemed pretty desperate. If that ever happens again I will probably still comply with the owner just to make life a little easier. Every other owner I've talked to has been amazing though. Thanks again though, this has helped reassure me.
Last modified by dandude999, 29 April 2018, 07:57

dandude999
Mtweedel13, 30 April 2018, 04:12
Last week, I went up to my regular spotting place (7-11) because I had heard from a friend that a Mercedes AMG GT-R was spotted up there. About an hour in, someone apparently called the cops on me, because a sheriff's deputy pulled in and got out to talk to me. However, he was very nice and understanding, although he had never heard of carspotting, and while talking, I even spotted the county's first Pierce-Arrow fire engine! He told me as long as I wasn't doing anything illegal, I could stay up there. Then he went back to his car and left.

I honestly don't understand how sitting outside a 7-11 holding a camera is suspicious in any way, unless I were photographing people's plates.

Mtweedel13
from Riverview, Florida
dandude999, 30 April 2018, 06:46
Mtweedel13 wrote:
Last week, I went up to my regular spotting place (7-11) because I had heard from a friend that a Mercedes AMG GT-R was spotted up there. About an hour in, someone apparently called the cops on me, because a sheriff's deputy pulled in and got out to talk to me. However, he was very nice and understanding, although he had never heard of carspotting, and while talking, I even spotted the county's first Pierce-Arrow fire engine! He told me as long as I wasn't doing anything illegal, I could stay up there. Then he went back to his car and left.

I honestly don't understand how sitting outside a 7-11 holding a camera is suspicious in any way, unless I were photographing people's plates.

That's never happened to me before, police in the UK, especially in London know what car spotting is. In London they are very annoying though and ticket people who rev, accelerate, etc. They even tell spotters to get off the road and so on. The strangest reaction for me is when I was standing at a busy roundabout and some people stopped off and asked if I was hurt or anything, which was nice but has never happened since.

dandude999
911gt3rsfan, 28 January 2019, 14:44
Right after I took my initial 4 second video of the front of a Phantom the chauffeur proceeded to film me and follow me around with his phone camera for at least 30 seconds. Strange.

911gt3rsfan
from Summit, New Jersey
dandude999, 28 January 2019, 17:02
911gt3rsfan wrote:
Right after I took my initial 4 second video of the front of a Phantom the chauffeur proceeded to film me and follow me around with his phone camera for at least 30 seconds. Strange.

Lmao! That's actually hilarious! Must've been quite awkward though!

dandude999
FastMojo2, 28 January 2019, 17:36
A month ago, I saw a black, RHD, Eleanor-kitted 1967 Ford Shelby GT500 at the Gunawarman Hotel. The owner was nice and let me took pics of his ride and even sat inside it, as long as I didn't upload any of the pics regarding his car to Instagram and ExoticSpotter. So I did not upload any of them to the said site as told.

However, someone else also spotted the same car and he publicly just uploaded it straight to Instagram, even without blurring/covering the plates. Not long after, the owner (I can't write his name here due to privacy) wrote an angry message to me regarding the pics. He yelled to me that I had told someone to upload pics of his car to Instagram without permission, despite actually I had no connection with the real offender who upload pics of his car without permission. Luckily, things had gone well now as I told him the truth.

You can imagine how people can get mad for something you even didn't do, just because someone else did it.

FastMojo2
from Jakarta, Indonesia
Post a reply