Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
Eeti2, 06 January 2016, 14:41
Bigger photos - at least double the current minimum width to 1280 pixels. And please for the love of god don't compress the pictures so much.

Eeti2
gregg, 06 January 2016, 15:12
How do inactive accounts affect the site?[/quote]
The inactive accounts take up lots of space in the "spotters" area, and their "spotter scores" can hold up active spotters from leveling up. Also, I do not know anything about running websites, but If I am not mistaken the deletion of inactive accounts could speed up the website...?[/quote]

That can be fixed with an algorithm update. Basically, make it so that spotters that have more recent activity get higher ratings.
I don't want to remove inactive accounts because this site is like a historical collection of spottings, some people may want to browse those older photos and get enjoyment out of them.

gregg
gregg, 06 January 2016, 15:18
FanOfSuperCars wrote:
langnews wrote:
1. Getting rid of the featured/unfeatured would eliminate all the squabbling about pics not getting enough attention.

I think if they got rid of the featured/unfeatured pages people would start complaining about the more "normal" cars flooding the main page.

yes, the Featured aspect of the site is very important. There has to be a way for the best photos to get recognition. Otherwise, they will be drowned out by low-quality photos that most users don't want to sift through.

I'm actually thinking along the lines of having two types of Featured photos. "Featured" will be the very best of the best (maybe only 4 to 8 chosen per day). "Highlights" will be what the current featured photos are like, we will chose the top 20% of photos. Users will still be able to see all the Accepted Photos, but they will not be prominently displayed.

gregg
Mazdafreak, 06 January 2016, 17:55
Better photo quality for sure. Maybe bigger images as well (or when you click on a normally-sized photo, it pops up a larger image of it).

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
michealm, 06 January 2016, 21:29
gregg wrote:
FanOfSuperCars wrote:
langnews wrote:
1. Getting rid of the featured/unfeatured would eliminate all the squabbling about pics not getting enough attention.

I think if they got rid of the featured/unfeatured pages people would start complaining about the more "normal" cars flooding the main page.

yes, the Featured aspect of the site is very important. There has to be a way for the best photos to get recognition. Otherwise, they will be drowned out by low-quality photos that most users don't want to sift through.

I'm actually thinking along the lines of having two types of Featured photos. "Featured" will be the very best of the best (maybe only 4 to 8 chosen per day). "Highlights" will be what the current featured photos are like, we will chose the top 20% of photos. Users will still be able to see all the Accepted Photos, but they will not be prominently displayed.

Just an idea, on an unfeatured image, could there be a "request feature" option for other spotters to click. You or other admins could then decide to feature (or not to feature) the photo in question?
Deleted account
Lamboshane, 06 January 2016, 23:04
michealm wrote:
gregg wrote:
FanOfSuperCars wrote:
langnews wrote:

Just an idea, on an unfeatured image, could there be a "request feature" option for other spotters to click. You or other admins could then decide to feature (or not to feature) the photo in question?

A voting system for what photos get featured would be very neat.

Lamboshane
from New York
Mustang1, 06 January 2016, 23:16
r8lover wrote:
FanOfSuperCars wrote:
For the second question (I know you said 1 thing, but..) :

- What I'd like to see is having the option to directly reply to someone's comment on a photo.

- Improved image quality for uploads

- I'd like to see "Jaguar XKR" category removed and also replace "Jaguar F-Type" category with "Jaguar F-Type Project 7" I think regular F-Types and XKRs aren't very exotic. And theres a seperate category for XKRS anyway. (<-- some people may argue this one..)

- More new categories

I'm with this (especially the point about the Jaaags).

I say leave the jags, u do realize most people don't post them anyway, and u don't have to post them, so why does it bother u, they r exotic enough, just because they aren't as common as a 458 speciale A doesn't mean they aren't exotic
Last modified by Mustang1, 06 January 2016, 23:17

Mustang1
from Chattanooga, Tennessee
Mustang1, 06 January 2016, 23:19
sumosloths wrote:
Stuff that DOESN'T need to change:
. Likes/favorites/comments
. Comment notification system
. Forum
. Photo uploader
. Spotters list

New stuff that I'd like to see:
. Bigger photos
. A few more specific categories
. Clickable URL's in photo descriptions, like how it is in comments
. Maybe some new ways to sort photos on my page (date spotted, date uploaded, etc.)

mine completely, and to sort on others pages, plus the forum character limit should be lifted
Last modified by Mustang1, 06 January 2016, 23:20

Mustang1
from Chattanooga, Tennessee
AJ Ferrari, 06 January 2016, 23:55
This is one thing I have noticed and it should be fixed:

When finding pictures in a specific location, say Miami (FL), I type that location into the search bar at the top of the site. When the pictures come up, I click on one and then progress to the others using the arrows provided near the picture. I have noticed that when you are on the last picture on the page that shows the search results for that location, and you try to progress to the next picture, which is on the next page of the original search results, the picture location changes.

To understand what I am saying:

-Type Miami in the search bar and press search
-Click on the last picture on the first page of search results (In this case an F12)
-Press the right arrow next to the picture twice (The location changes from Miami to Monaco)

AJ Ferrari
xXFerrariFanXx, 06 January 2016, 23:58
This post was deleted 06 January 2016, 23:58 by xXFerrariFanXx

xXFerrariFanXx
from Florida
Lamborarri, 06 January 2016, 23:58
It's good to know that you want our input before what sounds like a complete overhaul for ES. This is probably a partial repeat of what has been stated above, but this is what I want to have stay:

-Likes/favorites
-Blog (let's do more with it though)
-Comment notifications (but can you increase the number from 20?)
-List of spotters

What I would like to see added is as follows:

-Spot Map (basically, a map of the world where you can zoom in to countries and then town to see what's been spotted where)
-Choice feature page (spotters get to pre-set what appears on their featured page so there's no more complaining about what is and isn't featured)

Also, are we going to be able to post more than 2 pictures per spot in the future? I have no problems with the current rule, I am just asking.
Last modified by Lamborarri, 07 January 2016, 00:00

Lamborarri
from Illinois
HAWPhotography, 07 January 2016, 03:10
Lamborarri wrote:

Also, are we going to be able to post more than 2 pictures per spot in the future? I have no problems with the current rule, I am just asking.

Good idea! They should make it so one photo shows up on the front page, but then if you click on that photo youll see 5 or 6 photos.
Deleted account
michealm, 07 January 2016, 03:17
Lamborarri wrote:
It's good to know that you want our input before what sounds like a complete overhaul for ES. This is probably a partial repeat of what has been stated above, but this is what I want to have stay:

-Likes/favorites
-Blog (let's do more with it though)
-Comment notifications (but can you increase the number from 20?)
-List of spotters

What I would like to see added is as follows:

-Spot Map (basically, a map of the world where you can zoom in to countries and then town to see what's been spotted where)
-Choice feature page (spotters get to pre-set what appears on their featured page so there's no more complaining about what is and isn't featured)

The map idea sounds sweet!
Deleted account
sumosloths, 07 January 2016, 18:38
gregg wrote:

I think this is a pretty good idea. I just hope that in this case the "Highlights" section would be the homepage.

sumosloths
from South San Francisco, California
Mazdafreak, 07 January 2016, 19:14
I also think it would be cool if there were a way to set up some sort of a personal alert, as in whenever a specific user uploaded something, you would get a notification. This could also be applied to cities and states.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
Post a reply