Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
r8lover, 22 November 2016, 03:51
DjShift wrote:
r8lover wrote:
Pretty random, but I drove a new Lincoln Continental recently (it was pretty good) and I never really realized how gigantic that thing is. After driving it I looked up the specs online and it's actually as wide as a Range Rover and as long as a SWB Audi A8.

And their car mailer they send out to advertise that car was a tablet that looked like a pamphlet and played a few minutes worth of video of the car. Not exactly sure why they thought I was going to buy one but it was awesome.

I love the car. I think it looks amazing and it seem well equipped, especially for the price.
Deleted account
DjShift, 22 November 2016, 04:19
r8lover wrote:
DjShift wrote:
r8lover wrote:
Pretty random, but I drove a new Lincoln Continental recently (it was pretty good) and I never really realized how gigantic that thing is. After driving it I looked up the specs online and it's actually as wide as a Range Rover and as long as a SWB Audi A8.

And their car mailer they send out to advertise that car was a tablet that looked like a pamphlet and played a few minutes worth of video of the car. Not exactly sure why they thought I was going to buy one but it was awesome.

I love the car. I think it looks amazing and it seem well equipped, especially for the price.

I agree. I haven't seen one in person yet but every photo of it makes that car look amazing. Would you compare it's interior more to the normal Lincoln competitors (basically Cadillac) or is it really up there with the big name luxury cars?

DjShift
from Sodus Point, New York
r8lover, 22 November 2016, 05:27
DjShift wrote:
r8lover wrote:
DjShift wrote:
r8lover wrote:

I agree. I haven't seen one in person yet but every photo of it makes that car look amazing. Would you compare it's interior more to the normal Lincoln competitors (basically Cadillac) or is it really up there with the big name luxury cars?

I went to the dealer just to take a look at it lol. I've been so excited for the car. It's probably closer to Cadillac. The materials are all pretty good, even in the mid-range one I drove. The leather was nice and the plastics weren't bad. There were some areas where some cost cutting did show, mainly in the back, but it was all pretty nice. It felt like a step up for Lincoln, that's for sure.

The hardest things to get used to about the car was the push button transmission and the doors. The doors open electronically, so you press a little button to unlatch them.
Deleted account
DjShift, 22 November 2016, 05:54
r8lover wrote:
DjShift wrote:
r8lover wrote:
DjShift wrote:
r8lover wrote:

I went to the dealer just to take a look at it lol. I've been so excited for the car. It's probably closer to Cadillac. The materials are all pretty good, even in the mid-range one I drove. The leather was nice and the plastics weren't bad. There were some areas where some cost cutting did show, mainly in the back, but it was all pretty nice. It felt like a step up for Lincoln, that's for sure.

The hardest things to get used to about the car was the push button transmission and the doors. The doors open electronically, so you press a little button to unlatch them.

Hm. I may have to drive an hour to go check one out sometime just for fun. I didn't even notice the button transmission in any of the photos but that actually sounds cool to me just as a novelty thing since it was a feature in a few of the classic cars that if I remember correctly were competitors of the original continentals. And the doors things would probably be cool to me too but I wish they kept the suicide doors idea from the concept.

DjShift
r8lover, 22 November 2016, 14:52
DjShift wrote:
Hm. I may have to drive an hour to go check one out sometime just for fun. I didn't even notice the button transmission in any of the photos but that actually sounds cool to me just as a novelty thing since it was a feature in a few of the classic cars that if I remember correctly were competitors of the original continentals. And the doors things would probably be cool to me too but I wish they kept the suicide doors idea from the concept.

I mean it's kind of neat but also unusual when you're driving because there's nowhere to really rest your right hand if you usually put it on the gear shift. The doors were neat and also have the self latching function (if you gently shut it it'll pull in and latch for you). They actually weren't suicide on the original concept though. The car barely changed from the show one.
Deleted account
DjShift, 22 November 2016, 18:33
r8lover wrote:
DjShift wrote:

I mean it's kind of neat but also unusual when you're driving because there's nowhere to really rest your right hand if you usually put it on the gear shift. The doors were neat and also have the self latching function (if you gently shut it it'll pull in and latch for you). They actually weren't suicide on the original concept though. The car barely changed from the show one.

Ah, yeah. Now looking back I do believe while looking for a photo of the buttons I was drunkenly looking at photos of the older Continental concept's doors. But I never was able to find a photo of where the buttons were. Did you take any of those?

And you seem to take a lot of test drives in newer cars cause you always mention them in here. How do you get those places to let you drive them? Do you always have to pretend you're going to buy the car when you walk in? The Rochester Mazda dealership wouldn't even let me test drive a new Miata without a $5,000 down payment because they said it was a "premium vehicle" and they don't want miles on them.
Last modified by DjShift, 22 November 2016, 18:44

DjShift
r8lover, 23 November 2016, 19:32
DjShift wrote:
Ah, yeah. Now looking back I do believe while looking for a photo of the buttons I was drunkenly looking at photos of the older Continental concept's doors. But I never was able to find a photo of where the buttons were. Did you take any of those?

And you seem to take a lot of test drives in newer cars cause you always mention them in here. How do you get those places to let you drive them? Do you always have to pretend you're going to buy the car when you walk in? The Rochester Mazda dealership wouldn't even let me test drive a new Miata without a $5,000 down payment because they said it was a "premium vehicle" and they don't want miles on them.

Yeah, the older one did have suicide doors. Are you talking about the buttons on the inside or outside? The outside ones are behind the chrome on the beltline just below the windows. I don't quite recall where the inside ones were.

Well, the cars I either drive or ride in are either ones that my family or me are looking at purchasing, ones we were invited to test drive, or are owned by friends. I ride in most of the new new ones, though there are a few I get to drive. I'm looking at a Continental for a few years down the road and wanted to see one in person, so I went to the dealer to check one out. I made it clear I wasn't going to get one for quite a while but the salesman still offered me a test drive anyway.

I never just walk into a dealer and test drive a car without some reason. I don't really like to just do random joyrides in cars. I only did it with the Continental because the salesman offered and insisted (not in a pushy way) that I drive it.
Last modified by r8lover, 23 November 2016, 19:49
Deleted account
DjShift, 24 November 2016, 01:12
r8lover wrote:
Yeah, the older one did have suicide doors. Are you talking about the buttons on the inside or outside? The outside ones are behind the chrome on the beltline just below the windows. I don't quite recall where the inside ones were.

Well, the cars I either drive or ride in are either ones that my family or me are looking at purchasing, ones we were invited to test drive, or are owned by friends. I ride in most of the new new ones, though there are a few I get to drive. I'm looking at a Continental for a few years down the road and wanted to see one in person, so I went to the dealer to check one out. I made it clear I wasn't going to get one for quite a while but the salesman still offered me a test drive anyway.

I never just walk into a dealer and test drive a car without some reason. I don't really like to just do random joyrides in cars. I only did it with the Continental because the salesman offered and insisted (not in a pushy way) that I drive it.

I was talking about the transmission buttons.

And ah, so you either have to know people or get lucky at the dealership? I had the full intention of buying that Miata too. I was walking into the dealership planning on driving away in that car and he said no test drives till I hand him the money cause he was discriminating based on age. Was actually really rude cause how am I supossed to know if I like the car without driving it. Didn't even try getting the loan there. My dad yelled at the salesman as we walked out and he wrote a complaint to corporate.
Last modified by DjShift, 24 November 2016, 01:12

DjShift
r8lover, 24 November 2016, 01:40
DjShift wrote:

And ah, so you either have to know people or get lucky at the dealership? I had the full intention of buying that Miata too. I was walking into the dealership planning on driving away in that car and he said no test drives till I hand him the money cause he was discriminating based on age. Was actually really rude cause how am I supossed to know if I like the car without driving it. Didn't even try getting the loan there. My dad yelled at the salesman as we walked out and he wrote a complaint to corporate.

Oh oh, I didn't really get a great picture. But here's one I found online: [http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/750x422/quality/95/http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/374/377/3/S3743773/slug/l/2017-lincoln-continental-spy-shots-004-1.jpg]

But, more or less. I mean I also basically made it look as though I could certainly afford the car. I went in well dressed, by myself, and even drove to the dealer in the Porsche. He didn't even ask my age. Basically I just looked like I knew what I was doing and the guy didn't ask any questions.

Your experience sounds unusual honestly. I would say he was profiling you based on age or possible ability to purchase the car. It is hard to purchase a car without driving it, certainly lol.
Deleted account
DjShift, 25 November 2016, 03:48
r8lover wrote:
DjShift wrote:

Oh oh, I didn't really get a great picture. But here's one I found online: [http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/750x422/quality/95/http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/374/377/3/S3743773/slug/l/2017-lincoln-continental-spy-shots-004-1.jpg]

But, more or less. I mean I also basically made it look as though I could certainly afford the car. I went in well dressed, by myself, and even drove to the dealer in the Porsche. He didn't even ask my age. Basically I just looked like I knew what I was doing and the guy didn't ask any questions.

Your experience sounds unusual honestly. I would say he was profiling you based on age or possible ability to purchase the car. It is hard to purchase a car without driving it, certainly lol.

That actually looks like the perfect place for the gears! I would much prefer that than what's in most cars now.

DjShift
r8lover, 25 November 2016, 22:00
DjShift wrote:
That actually looks like the perfect place for the gears! I would much prefer that than what's in most cars now.

It wasn't bad. It just would take some getting used to. I just missed the place to rest my hand on the knob but it did make me keep both hands on the wheel more lol.
Deleted account
DjShift, 26 November 2016, 04:03
r8lover wrote:
DjShift wrote:

It wasn't bad. It just would take some getting used to. I just missed the place to rest my hand on the knob but it did make me keep both hands on the wheel more lol.

Do you drive with your left hand normally though? I always use my right hand to steer and rest my left arm on the door.

DjShift
r8lover, 27 November 2016, 04:48
DjShift wrote:
r8lover wrote:
DjShift wrote:

Do you drive with your left hand normally though? I always use my right hand to steer and rest my left arm on the door.

I mean it depends. Typically I'll do that and hold the shifter with my right hand, but often I'll alternate while driving.
Deleted account
Mazdafreak, 27 November 2016, 19:50
r8lover wrote:
DjShift wrote:
r8lover wrote:
DjShift wrote:

I mean it depends. Typically I'll do that and hold the shifter with my right hand, but often I'll alternate while driving.

You shouldn't rest your hand on the shifter, even in an automatic.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
r8lover, 27 November 2016, 20:09
Mazdafreak wrote:
r8lover wrote:
DjShift wrote:
r8lover wrote:
DjShift wrote:

You shouldn't rest your hand on the shifter, even in an automatic.

Why exactly? What could it possibly do to mess with the transmission in an automatic? I do know it's bad for manuals.
Last modified by r8lover, 27 November 2016, 20:10
Deleted account
Post a reply