Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
DjShift, 18 January 2016, 05:37
I remember when i first started many years ago and everyone wanted the mods and admins to be more involved with the site, talking to people, looking at photos, giving likes, revamping the site. Slowly over time, the higher ups started getting more and more active until finally more members were promoted.

Myself personally, i liked it more before all these changes started happening. There are some good changes like the likes/favorites instead of the number system and like/dislikes we had before. And i like that there's now a forum and a blog. But i feel like this whole thing has gone in a big curve and the site is slowly getting worse again.

Even though there were trolls back then disliking things for fun and posting red minivans as a christmas prank, i liked the site so much more back then because the site was about spotting and showing each other the cars we see throughout the years in all the different cities around the world.

Now this website has just become one big game. Spotter rankings, people deciding what photos are featured because they think they look good or bad, competitive timing of posts, trying to get more people to like/comment on their photos using links in the forums.

I want the old ES back.

DjShift
from Sodus Point, New York
gregg, 18 January 2016, 13:25
MinneGoober wrote:
gregg wrote:
MinneGoober wrote:
Dear Greg,

I do not trust your ability to judge the quality of a photo.

Thanks,
Gabe

Since you don't offer any constructive criticism, all I can say is you're free to start your own spotting site and run it exactly how you want to.

Touche. Alright, my constructive criticism for you is to spend more time studying the work of great car photographers like Alex Penfold, Axion, Amin Siala, Ivan Orlov, and even spotters on this site like Teresa, Linus Kastner, Jon, and Brayden.

I think you (and exoticspotter.com) would benefit from you taking time to notice the effects of polarizers, darkness, motion blur, bokeh, light trails, and the many other intricate things that can make a picture look cool INSTEAD of focusing so much on whether the background is "interesting" or not.

Of course, my perspective is slightly limited because I'm judging your ability solely on a) the pictures you have posted on this site, and b) the pictures you have and have not featured. But still, I think you really should reassess the way you approach featuring pictures, if you're going to continue with this new system.

You've created an amazing site with a great community (so I won't be leaving any time soon), but I think you must address this problem before even more people leave this site.

That's not constructive criticism. You're just throwing around terms and listing some spotters that you like.

Go through the ALL section (http://www.exoticspotter.com/recent/) and pick out the photos you think should have been featured (which were not), and explain why you think those should have been featured.

gregg
jackrabbit898, 18 January 2016, 14:05
idk... I just don't try to get stuff featured anymore cuz it's really no hope. I'm simply an iPhone photographer, so I can't pull off any cool shots. I do it for the cars though, so I won't stop.

(Also gregg I've had pictures pending for 2 DAYS now, please look at them)
Last modified by jackrabbit898, 18 January 2016, 14:06

jackrabbit898
from Houston, Texas
gregg, 18 January 2016, 16:41
jackrabbit898 wrote:
idk... I just don't try to get stuff featured anymore cuz it's really no hope. I'm simply an iPhone photographer, so I can't pull off any cool shots. I do it for the cars though, so I won't stop.

(Also gregg I've had pictures pending for 2 DAYS now, please look at them)

The queue has been cleared, if your photos don't show up, it means they weren't accepted.

gregg
Lamborarri, 18 January 2016, 17:23
Hey I'm just wondering why a picture of a Ferrari 360 that I just uploaded hasn't been accepted yet, I have had no problems prior to this with instant uploading. Just want to know why this is happening, not complaining. Does it have something to do with my quality score?
Last modified by Lamborarri, 18 January 2016, 17:27

Lamborarri
from Illinois
jackrabbit898, 18 January 2016, 17:56
Lamborarri wrote:
Hey I'm just wondering why a picture of a Ferrari 360 that I just uploaded hasn't been accepted yet, I have had no problems prior to this with instant uploading. Just want to know why this is happening, not complaining. Does it have something to do with my quality score?

That's what happened for me, probably same for you, idk. I've been trying to upload a pic for two days now.

jackrabbit898
from Houston, Texas
MinneGoober, 18 January 2016, 20:20
gregg wrote:
MinneGoober wrote:
Touche. Alright, my constructive criticism for you is to spend more time studying the work of great car photographers like Alex Penfold, Axion, Amin Siala, Ivan Orlov, and even spotters on this site like Teresa, Linus Kastner, Jon, and Brayden.

I think you (and exoticspotter.com) would benefit from you taking time to notice the effects of polarizers, darkness, motion blur, bokeh, light trails, and the many other intricate things that can make a picture look cool INSTEAD of focusing so much on whether the background is "interesting" or not.

Of course, my perspective is slightly limited because I'm judging your ability solely on a) the pictures you have posted on this site, and b) the pictures you have and have not featured. But still, I think you really should reassess the way you approach featuring pictures, if you're going to continue with this new system.

That's not constructive criticism. You're just throwing around terms and listing some spotters that you like.

Go through the ALL section (http://www.exoticspotter.com/recent/) and pick out the photos you think should have been featured (which were not), and explain why you think those should have been featured.

Nope. Addressing this issue on a case-by-case basis is not going to work in the long term.

And constructive criticism is impossible to give if it's about someone's opinion. At that point all I can do is say "I disagree" or "look at these other things and learn from them".

By the way, you are correct that I did "throw around terms and spotters", but I listed those for a reason: you should learn from them.

This site is only as good as its community. And the divisiveness caused by the "featured" and "all" pages being so split now is slowly killing the community.
Last modified by MinneGoober, 18 January 2016, 20:21

MinneGoober
from Saint Paul, Minnesota
jackrabbit898, 18 January 2016, 22:38
MinneGoober wrote:
gregg wrote:
MinneGoober wrote:

Nope. Addressing this issue on a case-by-case basis is not going to work in the long term.

And constructive criticism is impossible to give if it's about someone's opinion. At that point all I can do is say "I disagree" or "look at these other things and learn from them".

By the way, you are correct that I did "throw around terms and spotters", but I listed those for a reason: you should learn from them.

This site is only as good as its community. And the divisiveness caused by the "featured" and "all" pages being so split now is slowly killing the community.

Nailed it.

jackrabbit898
from Houston, Texas
gregg, 19 January 2016, 03:56
MinneGoober wrote:
gregg wrote:
MinneGoober wrote:

OK, you're entitled to your opinion I guess. It's odd that you can't show me one example of what you're talking about.

gregg
michealm, 19 January 2016, 21:21
Just my opinion, but this Elise wasn't an all too amazing spot, and the edit was very easy to do, nor did it look too amazing (If you're reading this @VolvoMan, I'm not saying it's a terrible spot and shot, I'm just saying that in my personal opinion it didn't deserve to be featured.) However, this beautiful shot of a Vantage was'nt featured. This Combo is somewhat decent, however, the shot is rather poor, however it still got featured, even though, in my opinion, the Vantage spot took a lot more skill and looked better overall. I hate to complain about the site, as it really is a great site, and I find it fantastic that you're looking for feedback and are spending time to redesign it, it's just that, in my opinion, there are often times instances in which certain photos get featured that shouldn't, and photos that should get featured aren't. I realize that you want to reward good photography, and you should, however, that doesn't mean shots of amazing cars (918) that aren't too amazing should be unfeatured. At the end of the day, the site is Exoticspotter.com, not CarPhotography.com I just think you need to outline when you feature/unfeature a car, and give us reasoning for it (be more consistent). One last thing, WHY WAS THIS UNFEATURED!!! It's an amazing combo, a beautiful spot, and in a location where it's rather hard to spot.
Last modified by michealm, 19 January 2016, 21:32
Deleted account
michealm, 19 January 2016, 21:32
Like I said, I love ES, and I think it's amazing of you that you're spending your time redesigning the site, it's just that we need certain rules for when something is featured, and we need more consistency from you and the mods in terms of featuring.
Last modified by michealm, 19 January 2016, 21:33
Deleted account
xXFerrariFanXx, 19 January 2016, 21:44
I also think the feature system is flawed. I posted an F-Type R Project 7 (http://www.exoticspotter.com/jaguar-f-type-stuart-florida-217938) yesterday, and it wasn't featured.

xXFerrariFanXx
from Florida
bullchaser, 19 January 2016, 22:16
Do we seriously need to have a topic just for ranting? The site isn't going to be perfect and not everyone will like every new change, but if we want the site popularity to grow, we're going to have to sacrifice sometimes that not everything will go our way. Maybe a good picture of yours didn't get featured, maybe a few even, maybe someone else's "questionable" picture did, so what? Greg's going to continue making judgment calls and he has every right to do so since he created this site, and he will make mistakes and sometimes his opinion will differ from yours, but that's life. I love exoticspotter and I won't leave but seriously, it is annoying to see so many forum posts complaining complaining complaining complaining complaining about why their picture wasn't featured. I complained a few times at first, but I've gotten over it, let's move on. Enjoy the pictures!

bullchaser
from Illinois
FanOfSuperCars, 19 January 2016, 22:23
michealm wrote:
Just my opinion, but this Elise wasn't an all too amazing spot, and the edit was very easy to do, nor did it look too amazing (If you're reading this @VolvoMan, I'm not saying it's a terrible spot and shot, I'm just saying that in my personal opinion it didn't deserve to be featured.) However, this beautiful shot of a Vantage was'nt featured. This Combo is somewhat decent, however, the shot is rather poor, however it still got featured, even though, in my opinion, the Vantage spot took a lot more skill and looked better overall. I hate to complain about the site, as it really is a great site, and I find it fantastic that you're looking for feedback and are spending time to redesign it, it's just that, in my opinion, there are often times instances in which certain photos get featured that shouldn't, and photos that should get featured aren't. I realize that you want to reward good photography, and you should, however, that doesn't mean shots of amazing cars (918) that aren't too amazing should be unfeatured. At the end of the day, the site is Exoticspotter.com, not CarPhotography.com I just think you need to outline when you feature/unfeature a car, and give us reasoning for it (be more consistent). One last thing, WHY WAS THIS UNFEATURED!!! It's an amazing combo, a beautiful spot, and in a location where it's rather hard to spot.

For the last combo I'm going to guess it was unfeatured because theres a Hyundai dealership in the background. (Yes, I'm aware Hyundai has nothing to do with exotics.)
Last modified by FanOfSuperCars, 19 January 2016, 22:26

FanOfSuperCars
from Middle Of The Ocean, Unknown Country
michealm, 19 January 2016, 22:24
bullchaser wrote:
Do we seriously need to have a topic just for ranting? The site isn't going to be perfect and not everyone will like every new change, but if we want the site popularity to grow, we're going to have to sacrifice sometimes that not everything will go our way. Maybe a good picture of yours didn't get featured, maybe a few even, maybe someone else's "questionable" picture did, so what? Greg's going to continue making judgment calls and he has every right to do so since he created this site, and he will make mistakes and sometimes his opinion will differ from yours, but that's life. I love exoticspotter and I won't leave but seriously, it is annoying to see so many forum posts complaining complaining complaining complaining complaining about why their picture wasn't featured. I complained a few times at first, but I've gotten over it, let's move on. Enjoy the pictures!

I totally agree with you, and that's why I continued to emphasize that I love the site, and that I really appreciate the time Greg is putting into the site right now. It's just that he indirectly asked for some examples of questionable features/unfeatures, so I gave him some examples of what I though were unreasonable features/unfeatures.
Last modified by michealm, 19 January 2016, 22:28
Deleted account
Post a reply