Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
cincyspotter, 05 January 2016, 04:43
r8lover wrote:
cincyspotter wrote:
If shots are getting taken down from the featured page because of a "boring background" some people have an unfair advantage just because of where they see the cars such as in California on the PCH

You can screw up a shot there. You can make a shot interesting no matter where you are.

You could screw up a shot but it is much easier to have an interesting backround is all I'm saying

cincyspotter
from cincinnati, Ohio
gregg, 05 January 2016, 04:50
Founder of the site here. OK, here's the deal: We're working on a redesign of the site, and plan to update everyone and answer frequently asked questions about how ExoticSpotter works. But basically, the featured photos are simply those I find the most aesthetically pleasing or interesting, and feel that other exotic car enthusiasts would enjoy. My job is to curate the site for the vast majority of visitors (the silent browsers). So, while I do have some spotting guidelines that I will share soon, in the end, it's simply my personal preference.

And to answer your questions, when I take background into consideration, I look for an atmosphere that's interesting for the car to be in. Also, how well balanced it is in the photo. In this case, the Porsche is too far to the right, causing imbalance in the photo. It would have been better to photograph the Porsche between the two trees (in my opinion). But, it's a really close call.

Same thing with the other example, it's a close call and just more of a personal opinion. You also have to understand that I can't spend 5 minutes looking at each photo, sometimes I need to make quick snap decisions.

That's why we have a "Highest Rated" and "Most Viewed" area, those are how you guys rate the photos yourselves. Also, you can see all photos accepted by clicking on "All".

Hope that answers some questions, I'll do a Q&A soon with more details

Mazdafreak wrote:

For example....if backgrounds are now so crucially important, can you explain why this GT3 was removed from the featured page....
[http://www.exoticspotter.com/images/199/198821.jpg]

yet this R8, which apparently has a "better" background, was added to the featured page?
[http://www.exoticspotter.com/images/198/197297.jpg]

Continued in the next post.....

gregg
carguyjt, 05 January 2016, 05:17
The Porsche looks like a rule of the thirds shot to me and I think it looks really cool and definitely not imbalanced. Since the spotter obviously used actual photography techniques I think it should be a featured picture. Just my opinion don't take it the wrong way.
Last modified by carguyjt, 05 January 2016, 05:18

carguyjt
from Littleton, Colorado
davisvehicles, 05 January 2016, 05:25
gregg wrote:
Founder of the site here. OK, here's the deal: We're working on a redesign of the site, and plan to update everyone and answer frequently asked questions about how ExoticSpotter works. But basically, the featured photos are simply those I find the most aesthetically pleasing or interesting, and feel that other exotic car enthusiasts would enjoy. My job is to curate the site for the vast majority of visitors (the silent browsers). So, while I do have some spotting guidelines that I will share soon, in the end, it's simply my personal preference.

And to answer your questions, when I take background into consideration, I look for an atmosphere that's interesting for the car to be in. Also, how well balanced it is in the photo. In this case, the Porsche is too far to the right, causing imbalance in the photo. It would have been better to photograph the Porsche between the two trees (in my opinion). But, it's a really close call.

Same thing with the other example, it's a close call and just more of a personal opinion. You also have to understand that I can't spend 5 minutes looking at each photo, sometimes I need to make quick snap decisions.

That's why we have a "Highest Rated" and "Most Viewed" area, those are how you guys rate the photos yourselves. Also, you can see all photos accepted by clicking on "All".

Hope that answers some questions, I'll do a Q&A soon with more details

Mazdafreak wrote:

For example....if backgrounds are now so crucially important, can you explain why this GT3 was removed from the featured page....
[http://www.exoticspotter.com/images/199/198821.jpg]

yet this R8, which apparently has a "better" background, was added to the featured page?
[http://www.exoticspotter.com/images/198/197297.jpg]

Continued in the next post.....

Thank you for your response and input! Looking forward to the Q&A.

davisvehicles
from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
r8lover, 05 January 2016, 05:28
cincyspotter wrote:
r8lover wrote:
cincyspotter wrote:
If shots are getting taken down from the featured page because of a "boring background" some people have an unfair advantage just because of where they see the cars such as in California on the PCH

You can screw up a shot there. You can make a shot interesting no matter where you are.

You could screw up a shot but it is much easier to have an interesting backround is all I'm saying

There are interesting backgrounds anywhere. There are plenty in Cincinnati just like any other city.
Deleted account
cincyspotter, 05 January 2016, 17:31
r8lover wrote:
cincyspotter wrote:
r8lover wrote:
cincyspotter wrote:

There are interesting backgrounds anywhere. There are plenty in Cincinnati just like any other city.

but you dont always see cars there you pretty much guaranteed to see one on the PCH in California
im not saying there isnt nice backgrounds im just saying that its easier somewhere nicer

cincyspotter
from cincinnati, Ohio
Mazdafreak, 05 January 2016, 19:02
xXFerrariFanXx wrote:
Does anyone know if Autogespot is worth joining? I think I may give it a try.

There are pluses and minuses there too, but I do like the higher quality pics and the fact that you can post up to 10 shots of one car. I have had some issues with the AG mods, which have removed a couple of my spottings for no real reason.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
sumosloths, 05 January 2016, 19:27
Mazdafreak wrote:
xXFerrariFanXx wrote:

There are pluses and minuses there too, but I do like the higher quality pics and the fact that you can post up to 10 shots of one car. I have had some issues with the AG mods, which have removed a couple of my spottings for no real reason.

I just started posting there, and I gotta say I still like ES better. AG doesn't have "likes" or a comment notification system. You also have to post more than one photo or they'll remove the post. The photo quality is so much better though, and you can post a lot more cars in very specific categories.

sumosloths
from South San Francisco, California
Mazdafreak, 05 January 2016, 19:31
sumosloths wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:
xXFerrariFanXx wrote:

I just started posting there, and I gotta say I still like ES better. AG doesn't have "likes" or a comment notification system. You also have to post more than one photo or they'll remove the post. The photo quality is so much better though, and you can post a lot more cars in very specific categories.

AG does have a "Spot Of The Day" system though, of which voting starts at I think 8:00 pm EST each night. Also if you mention a user in the form of @sumosloths in a comment, that user will get an email notification with a link to the shot with the comment on it. It takes a while to figure out all the quirks on that site.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
Mustang1, 05 January 2016, 23:02
Mazdafreak wrote:
sumosloths wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:
xXFerrariFanXx wrote:

AG does have a "Spot Of The Day" system though, of which voting starts at I think 8:00 pm EST each night. Also if you mention a user in the form of @sumosloths in a comment, that user will get an email notification with a link to the shot with the comment on it. It takes a while to figure out all the quirks on that site.

and a lot of the things that u want to know about are in a different language

Mustang1
from Chattanooga, Tennessee
r8lover, 05 January 2016, 23:19
cincyspotter wrote:
r8lover wrote:
cincyspotter wrote:
r8lover wrote:
cincyspotter wrote:

but you dont always see cars there you pretty much guaranteed to see one on the PCH in California
im not saying there isnt nice backgrounds im just saying that its easier somewhere nicer

There are places where you're practically guaranteed, and a decent number of the locations are somewhat picturesque.
Deleted account
Mustang1, 05 January 2016, 23:27
r8lover wrote:
cincyspotter wrote:
r8lover wrote:
cincyspotter wrote:
r8lover wrote:
cincyspotter wrote:

There are places where you're practically guaranteed, and a decent number of the locations are somewhat picturesque.

how about Chattanooga, its not that good for most of the cars I see as they r on the crappiest highways in the world

Mustang1
from Chattanooga, Tennessee
cincyspotter, 06 January 2016, 00:21
Mustang1 wrote:
r8lover wrote:
cincyspotter wrote:
r8lover wrote:
cincyspotter wrote:
r8lover wrote:
cincyspotter wrote:

how about Chattanooga, its not that good for most of the cars I see as they r on the crappiest highways in the world

I know places in Cincinnati where the cars are I wouldn't really consider them picturesque

cincyspotter
from cincinnati, Ohio
r8lover, 06 January 2016, 02:57
cincyspotter wrote:
I know places in Cincinnati where the cars are I wouldn't really consider them picturesque

Mariemont, downtown, some country clubs, etc. Some of my favorite pictures are from spots in the city.
Deleted account
HAWPhotography, 06 January 2016, 03:07
but can the ES Watermark be downsized?
Deleted account
Post a reply