Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
bullchaser, 03 August 2017, 15:56
We've all had them. I thought it would be funny to hear some of them.
A few of mine...

I was in Beverly Hills walking around and saw a Rolls-Royce Phantom and turned to take a picture and dropped my water bottle and it hit a lady. She gave me the weirdest look. :P

That moment when you're taking pictures of a parked car from all angles and then at the end realize that the owner is sitting in the car watching you... I've done that.

I tripped over a curb trying to take a picture of a Lamborghini in Beverly Hills as well.

I had my mom drive me all over Monterey following this weird red car that HAD to be something special but when we finally caught it it was the new Mazda Miata. -_-

And I've also taken a picture of a Lamborghini but there were a lot of people walking between it and this lady thought I was taking a picture of her. That was awesome. . .

Alright anyone else have good stories? :D

bullchaser
from Illinois
pdkcars, 03 August 2017, 16:57
Back when the F80 M3 was new I saw one, dirty, at the mall and got out to get pictures. The owner came out and calmly asked me what I was doing. When I told her she just said "uhkay" weirded out and got in. Must've been her husbands car because later that year that same car was at some BMW M meet.

To me it's embarrassing that I missed an orange Huracan last month because I was too worried the security would stop me and as soon as they disappeared the owner appeared and sped off.

I had my mom back up for a car I thought was an M6 and it turned out to be a 650i. :D

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
Maryland_Cars, 03 August 2017, 17:05
Ha, happens to me all the time when I take a picture of a nice car only to realize the owner is sitting inside the car watching me...

It's also weird when you take a picture of a car that looks normal to people that aren't spotters and they are looking at you as if they had no idea why you are taking pictures of some guy's car.

Maryland_Cars
from Kent Island, Maryland
pdkcars, 03 August 2017, 18:08
Maryland_Cars wrote:
It's also weird when you take a picture of a car that looks normal to people that aren't spotters and they are looking at you as if they had no idea why you are taking pictures of some guy's car.

Happens all of the time haha! Take multiple pictures of a Ferrari and no one bats an eye. But take a picture of an RS5 "What is he doing?"

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
Mtweedel13, 03 August 2017, 18:52
I always try to see if I can tell what a car is as it approaches me from far away, and if I think its exotic, out comes the camera, only to find that its a regular car. But then, whenever I'm not ready, a Bentley or Aston Martin flies by me, and I can't get the picture. Countless times this has happened.

I also had one moment where I asked the owner of the first Dodge Charger Hellcat I ever saw if I could get pictures, and he couldn't understand me because he couldn't speak English.

Mtweedel13
from Riverview, Florida
pdkcars, 03 August 2017, 19:51
Lol something like that happened with a guy and a GT350R back in April. I asked him through the window and he didn't really understand. I didn't want to get pictures in front of the car after that in case he had a problem and security is rampant in that area so that would be even worse.

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
bullchaser, 03 August 2017, 23:15
pdkcars wrote:
Maryland_Cars wrote:

Happens all of the time haha! Take multiple pictures of a Ferrari and no one bats an eye. But take a picture of an RS5 "What is he doing?"

Ohmygosh yes that happens all the time to me! I'll take a picture of a Bentley or Maserati and people will look at me like I'm a freak or something. I'm just like, "look away" lol

bullchaser
from Illinois
bullchaser, 03 August 2017, 23:16
One time, I was spotting cars in Scottsdale at a street corner, and at the next intersection there was a bright yellow garbage can, and at least 10 times when I looked in that direction I instinctively flinched and thought it might be a Ferrari or Lamborghini. :D

bullchaser
from Illinois
pdkcars, 04 August 2017, 00:17
bullchaser wrote:
One time, I was spotting cars in Scottsdale at a street corner, and at the next intersection there was a bright yellow garbage can, and at least 10 times when I looked in that direction I instinctively flinched and thought it might be a Ferrari or Lamborghini. :D

On a pretty good spotting day I was at the mall. Across the mall where the other part of the parking lot was I saw something yellow. I thought "oh sh*t a yellow 458 or maybe f12 or mc stradale" its a base corvette stingray lmao.

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
Mazdafreak, 04 August 2017, 00:21
pdkcars wrote:
Lol something like that happened with a guy and a GT350R back in April. I asked him through the window and he didn't really understand. I didn't want to get pictures in front of the car after that in case he had a problem and security is rampant in that area so that would be even worse.

Just make a quizzical face and show the driver your camera. Usually they'll nod or give you a thumbs up.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
DjShift, 04 August 2017, 01:01
I have a couple;

Taking pictures of a Z06 427 once at my doctors office and a nurse comes out crying (with another nurse giving her support) because she thought I was taking the photos for insurance and that I must've hit her husbands car. Then I told her I just wanted photos cause I hadn't seen one before and she was kinda confused.

Chasing a GT500 around Sodus Point by bike trying to keep up I try jumping it onto the sidewalk as I've done many times before but miscalculated, fell hard onto the sidewalk, covered in blood with a broken bike; then the owner stopped and let me get some photos. I think he knew I was chasing him and was just having fun with it.

Running after a Bugatti Type 35 (which was parked) across a grass field and accidentally stepped into a little indent in the grass. I completely fractured my ankle and still made it over to the car to find out it's a replica and parked there because it's for sale. Got a couple photos but then had to go to a foot doctor and explain how it happened. And I had to wear a medical boot thing for like 2 months.

Asked a different GT500 owner if he could just slowly drive by a ZR1 so I could get some combo shots. Apparently that's an insult to him.

Taking photos of cars parallel parked by sidewalks and getting honked at because I'm a bit too far out into the lane. This has probably happened like 20 times.

And of course all those "why are you taking photos of that car?" Or "is that your car?" Questions.

DjShift
from Sodus Point, New York
FanOfSuperCars, 04 August 2017, 01:57
This post was deleted 04 August 2017, 18:22 by FanOfSuperCars

FanOfSuperCars
from Middle Of The Ocean, Unknown Country
waddle2gracious, 04 August 2017, 03:39
bullchaser wrote:

lol this one hits home for me. Not with garbage cans, but I've had it happen with roadside fluorescent orange caution/construction signs. I look way in the distance, see a bright orange spec and think "Oh boi it's a Lamborghini or a McLaren or something really special" and then I get a little closer and then I realize...it's not even a car.

As for other moments, I haven't really had any significantly embarrassing ones, other than the occasional thought of "oh hey a Ferrari, oh never mind a C7 Corvette." I do remember one in particular though, well over 10 years ago now. I was new to spotting (no camera, just a notebook into which I wrote the cars I saw) and I saw a red spec in the distance. I was riding with my dad, and I remember starting to get hyped up over whatever this upcoming car was. I said, "Oh, look! A 360!" Thinking it was a 360 Spider, which I used to freak out over back in those days, it approached and then I realized...it was a dirty, beaten up, unusually bright red first-generation Porsche Boxster. My dad just gave me a puzzling look like, "You ok?" Ever since then I try not to orally call out cars I think are exotic, even when I'm driving alone.

waddle2gracious
from Florida
pdkcars, 04 August 2017, 03:55
I thought I was the only one who liked to keep a note of all of the cars I saw. I did that via an app on my phone back in 2014 and stopped in 2015. It's interesting looking back and I somehow remember a lot of the cars I jotted down!

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
waddle2gracious, 04 August 2017, 04:04
pdkcars wrote:
I thought I was the only one who liked to keep a note of all of the cars I saw. I did that via an app on my phone back in 2014 and stopped in 2015. It's interesting looking back and I somehow remember a lot of the cars I jotted down!

I have all my spots logged since 2013 in 'Notes' on my iPhone (and some days from 2012). I also have all spots in a document on my computer from 2010-2012. These were originally on a notepad as well, but I have since transferred them.

waddle2gracious
from Florida
Post a reply