Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
Car Week Spots for Editor's Choice
Yes

No

Total: 15
rivi3, 08 September 2016, 22:07
I feel like Car Week spots should not be considered for editor's choice because they are not completely random spottings. I feel like they should be considered pseudo spots just like spectator lots at car shows because I feel it's unfair to those who actually go out in their own area to spot rather than flocking to California. It's unfair to those people who have very little to offer but yet the privileged folk who get to go to Car Week can pretty much automatically win every time because they have a whole bag full of spots they can choose from.

What are your opinions on this topic?
Last modified by rivi3, 10 September 2016, 02:23

rivi3
from New York
Ma-auto, 08 September 2016, 22:23
I feel like if it wasn't a random spotting, it should be a pseudo-spot. But if they randomly found it at the valet of some restaurant, I think it should be a full spot. The latter could be eligible for EC, depending on the situation.

Ma-auto
from Boston, Massachusetts
rivi3, 08 September 2016, 22:46
Driveblox man wrote:
I feel like if it wasn't a random spotting, it should be a pseudo-spot. But if they randomly found it at the valet of some restaurant, I think it should be a full spot. The latter could be eligible for EC, depending on the situation.

Well, it's not completely random, that's the thing. You flock to Car Week expecting good cars to be there, and because it's an event, your odds of finding something good are significantly increased. For example: going to Greenwich on a normal weekend, yeah you will see some cool stuff, but during one specific weekend (Greenwich Concours), your odds of finding something good are 100x greater. It's the same deal with Car Week however the cars there are actually for the events going on that weekend. It's just unfair imo that more privileged spotters can pretty much buy their way into Editor's Choice (before you call me a hater, as jealous as I am that I didn't get to go, if I did go, I would still want somebody else to win who found a car on their way to the supermarket or something).

Autogespot has completely abolished any spots relating to an event (excluding major exhibitions such as the New York International Auto Show). This means no Car Week whatsoever, and anybody wanting to spot in California has to wait until Car Week is completely over and done with before spotting is allowed again.

rivi3
from New York
r8lover, 09 September 2016, 02:25
rivi3 wrote:
Well, it's not completely random, that's the thing...It's just unfair imo that more privileged spotters can pretty much buy their way into Editor's Choice (before you call me a hater, as jealous as I am that I didn't get to go, if I did go, I would still want somebody else to win who found a car on their way to the supermarket or something).

Seriously, privileged spotters? That's the excuse? There are plenty of west coast residents who drive down for Car Week and don't go to any shows (which while the hotel can be expensive, there is a way to do a moderately inexpensive Car Week). It's not like every person who goes there is a millionaire. Go spout inequality BS somewhere else; there's nothing about "privilege" that gives some people the Editor's Choice over anyone else. It's someone in the right place at the right time. Someone could have a more insane find somewhere that isn't Car Week when an insane Car Week spot is uploaded, and that could just as easily win EC as anything from Car Week.

When it comes to Car Week, most people on the site seem to be good about not posting cars that are related to events. Meaning the cars were random spots. Of course, there are more people around the area to inform others about where certain cars or groups of cars are located, which makes the spots seem less random, but in the end are they not cars driving on the roads and parking in parking lots, just like any normal car would?

I wasn't even planning on uploading most of my spots from Car Week, though they seem just as legitimate as anything else.
Last modified by r8lover, 09 September 2016, 12:51
Deleted account
sumosloths, 09 September 2016, 12:51
My only privilege regarding car week is my location. We spend money on literally nothing but food and gas.

sumosloths
from South San Francisco, California
carguyjt, 09 September 2016, 18:13
r8lover wrote:
rivi3 wrote:
Well, it's not completely random, that's the thing...It's just unfair imo that more privileged spotters can pretty much buy their way into Editor's Choice (before you call me a hater, as jealous as I am that I didn't get to go, if I did go, I would still want somebody else to win who found a car on their way to the supermarket or something).

Seriously, privileged spotters? That's the excuse? There are plenty of west coast residents who drive down for Car Week and don't go to any shows (which while the hotel can be expensive, there is a way to do a moderately inexpensive Car Week). It's not like every person who goes there is a millionaire. Go spout inequality BS somewhere else; there's nothing about "privilege" that gives some people the Editor's Choice over anyone else. It's someone in the right place at the right time. Someone could have a more insane find somewhere that isn't Car Week when an insane Car Week spot is uploaded, and that could just as easily win EC as anything from Car Week.

When it comes to Car Week, most people on the site seem to be good about not posting cars that are related to events. Meaning the cars were random spots. Of course, there are more people around the area to inform others about where certain cars or groups of cars are located, which makes the spots seem less random, but in the end are they not cars driving on the roads and parking in parking lots, just like any normal car would?

I wasn't even planning on uploading most of my spots from Car Week, though they seem just as legitimate as anything else.

Lol I agree, that's bs
Last modified by carguyjt, 09 September 2016, 18:13

carguyjt
from Littleton, Colorado
rivi3, 09 September 2016, 19:32
Ok, I was not referring to "privilege" as in money, I was referring to "you are lucky enough to go to Car Week or lucky to live there"

Second, I compare winning EC by spotting during Car Week like taking steroids to gain muscles. Both give an unfair and unnatural advantage over everyone else. There are not that many cars in Carmel, but during Car Week, it's crazy.

Third, I am not saying they shouldn't be allowed on here, I'm saying that it gets tiring seeing the same cars winning every time by the same people every time and it would be good if somebody won who took the time and effort to go out and catch something in the real wild.
Last modified by rivi3, 09 September 2016, 19:33

rivi3
from New York
r8lover, 09 September 2016, 20:01
rivi3 wrote:
Ok, I was not referring to "privilege" as in money, I was referring to "you are lucky enough to go to Car Week or lucky to live there"

Second, I compare winning EC by spotting during Car Week like taking steroids to gain muscles. Both give an unfair and unnatural advantage over everyone else. There are not that many cars in Carmel, but during Car Week, it's crazy.

Third, I am not saying they shouldn't be allowed on here, I'm saying that it gets tiring seeing the same cars winning every time by the same people every time and it would be good if somebody won who took the time and effort to go out and catch something in the real wild.

So, because someone just happens to be in a family that lives on the West Coast, they're ineligible for EC due to privilege? Wouldn't that same logic apply to Beverly Hills, or really any other location? Wouldn't the same also apply to anyone that travels to say Monaco or any other city during a Grand Prix? Crazy cars tend to come out for those events and some spotters here are "privileged" enough to go or live in those areas. By that logic, their spots are ineligible for EC.

I am sure that most people do not go to Car Week just so they can get Editor's Choice on a small exotic car spotting website. During Car Week, you see amazing cars and sights that you will never see on the road anywhere else. Is that not the definition of something worthy of EC? Where the rarest and most insane cars anywhere in the world are being driven on public roads like a normal car. I'm pretty sure that's part of what this website is all about.

At the end of the day, what would you rather see as editor's choice? A Disco Volante or Lykan from Car Week? Or the Aventador or 918 spotted in London because that was the best thing (not from Car Week) uploaded to the website that week?
Last modified by r8lover, 09 September 2016, 20:04
Deleted account
rivi3, 09 September 2016, 20:42
I feel that any photos taken during the timeframe of Car Week in the Carmel, Monterey area should not be allowed to win SOTD. Beverly Hills and Monaco are different because the odds of spotting there are the same no matter what day it is.

And honestly, I would much rather see an Aventador or 918 caught in the wild rather than a Lykan at Car Week.
Last modified by rivi3, 09 September 2016, 20:43

rivi3
from New York
r8lover, 09 September 2016, 21:46
rivi3 wrote:
I feel that any photos taken during the timeframe of Car Week in the Carmel, Monterey area should not be allowed to win SOTD. Beverly Hills and Monaco are different because the odds of spotting there are the same no matter what day it is.

And honestly, I would much rather see an Aventador or 918 caught in the wild rather than a Lykan at Car Week.

With Monaco, I'm also referring to the special events they have there where the quality of cars is greatly increased, and yet it seems like the spots there still win EC. So what's really different about that?

I should refrain, it's a Lykan still driving on the road. Where else in the world would you see something that incredible.
Deleted account
r8lover, 09 September 2016, 21:46
rivi3 wrote:

With Monaco, I'm also referring to the special events they have there where the quality of cars is greatly increased, and yet it seems like the spots there still win EC. So what's really different about that?

I should refrain, it's a Lykan still driving on the road. Where else in the world would you see something that incredible.
Deleted account
rivi3, 09 September 2016, 23:38
r8lover wrote:
rivi3 wrote:

Okay fine, then special events in general shouldn't be allowed for EC.

Also, to answer your question about "where else in the world would you see that?", click here
Last modified by rivi3, 09 September 2016, 23:41

rivi3
from New York
r8lover, 10 September 2016, 00:43
rivi3 wrote:
r8lover wrote:
rivi3 wrote:

Also, to answer your question about "where else in the world would you see that?", click here

You mean the Lykan Hypersport that was in Monaco for Top Marques? You know, an event? You're only ever going to see these sorts of cars when there's something attracting them to a place. Be it a good restaurant, hotel, or show that they're not involved in, they're certainly not out for no reason.
Deleted account
rivi3, 10 September 2016, 00:59
r8lover wrote:
rivi3 wrote:
r8lover wrote:
rivi3 wrote:

You mean the Lykan Hypersport that was in Monaco for Top Marques? You know, an event? You're only ever going to see these sorts of cars when there's something attracting them to a place. Be it a good restaurant, hotel, or show that they're not involved in, they're certainly not out for no reason.

Okay fine, here you go.
Last modified by rivi3, 10 September 2016, 00:59

rivi3
from New York
W16, 10 September 2016, 01:15
Another "ugh I'm jealous of car week" topic. God this site sucks.

W16
from Pennsylvania
Post a reply