Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
apwoz, 27 September 2013, 22:27
Starting a group for spotters from upstate NY. Figured this May be easier that the current plan

apwoz
from Rochester, New York
Lamboshane, 27 September 2013, 22:41
Well, I'm at the northern end of the Catskills... I've seen upstate be used to name everything from the Hudson Valley just north of NYC to Old Forge way up at the northern end.

Lamboshane
from New York
nyexphotography, 27 September 2013, 22:42
DAMN RIGHT

nyexphotography
from Rochester , New York
apwoz, 27 September 2013, 22:43
If anyone is interested in working weekends at the track I can get you the info

apwoz
from Rochester, New York
apwoz, 27 September 2013, 22:45
I'm from Albany but I live in Rochester now. I called upstate from Kingston north but I know ppl from the city who call anything north of the city as upstate.

apwoz
from Rochester, New York
DjShift, 27 September 2013, 22:54
I used to live in Washington State untill i moved to Sodus Point. And i would like to be able to have a job at the track but it's a 1 hour, 40 minute drive from my house so i cant.

DjShift
from Sodus Point, New York
apwoz, 27 September 2013, 23:02
DjShift wrote:
I used to live in Washington State untill i moved to Sodus Point. And i would like to be able to have a job at the track but it's a 1 hour, 40 minute drive from my house so i cant.

Check your messages from about a year ago we talked about this, I think. There is free camping available to workers on weekends, part of the membership dues. We usually go down Friday night and stay until the last checker on Sunday.

apwoz
from Rochester, New York
DjShift, 27 September 2013, 23:12
We might have but i dont think i'll be able to check them. I have over 100,000 messages in my box.

What do the workers do there?

DjShift
apwoz, 27 September 2013, 23:17
DjShift wrote:
We might have but i dont think i'll be able to check them. I have over 100,000 messages in my box.

A little bit of everything but everyone specializes in one group.

Flagging and communication. we are the people in white in the little huts around the track with the flags.

Fire - Ride on the fire trucks and put out fires/ cut drivers out of cars etc ( you need to be a certified firefighter for that)

Course Marshall. Pick up debris and fix rails, clean up oil and help tow cars

Grid - lines up the cars before races.

www.rsiwgi.com

apwoz
from Rochester, New York
DjShift, 27 September 2013, 23:26
apwoz wrote:
DjShift wrote:

Flagging and communication. we are the people in white in the little huts around the track with the flags.

Fire - Ride on the fire trucks and put out fires/ cut drivers out of cars etc ( you need to be a certified firefighter for that)

www.rsiwgi.com

What do you do with the flags though?

I've never been to a race before so i really have no idea.
Last modified by DjShift, 28 September 2013, 03:27

DjShift
apwoz, 27 September 2013, 23:45
DjShift wrote:
apwoz wrote:
DjShift wrote:

www.rsiwgi.com

What do you do with the flags though?

I've never been to a race before so i really have no idea.

Each flag has a different meaning to the drivers (Yellow, blue, red, black, etc). We have 9-12 flags depending on where you are assigned for the day. Depending on what is going on around the track we flag accordingly (oil on the track, pace car on track, accident/slow car ahead), or as directed by race control (red flag to stop everyone, black to bring them all into the pits).

You would get trained in flags and raido use by a veteran or a pair of veterans the first few weekends before they send you out on your own. There are a few more events this year including a 4 hour endurance race for SCCA but its late in the season this year but if your interested maybe next season.

apwoz
from Rochester, New York
DjShift, 28 September 2013, 00:02
That does sound really fun. Would they hire me if i'm only 18 though? Or is it a 21 and over job? I'll talk to my parents about it tomorrow when they wake up though because it does seem cool.

DjShift
SDJ2_Photography, 28 September 2013, 06:57
Is there any chance (when i'm older and just say i get the job) that if i worked as a track-cleanup guy that i could keep some of the pieces of the cars? :D

SDJ2_Photography
from Pittsford, New York
apwoz, 28 September 2013, 07:14
DjShift wrote:
That does sound really fun. Would they hire me if i'm only 18 though? Or is it a 21 and over job? I'll talk to my parents about it tomorrow when they wake up though because it does seem cool.

The weekends are volunteer... 18+ for all positions. The weekday ppl do get paid though but they don't have camping

apwoz
from Rochester, New York
apwoz, 28 September 2013, 07:18
SDJ2 wrote:
Is there any chance (when i'm older and just say i get the job) that if i worked as a track-cleanup guy that i could keep some of the pieces of the cars? :D

Depends on the series. Ie Indy car likes to have all the parts back. NASCAR doesn't really care. a lot of people have parts as mementos. It also depends on the part some parts get taken back to the garage because often teams like to try to fix cars and get them back out.

Last year I did pick up an engine plate off a 911 RSR) that was testing during an event
Last modified by apwoz, 28 September 2013, 11:22

apwoz
from Rochester, New York
Post a reply