Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
Pick one style if you had to choose
Automatic (anything with two pedals)

Manual

Total: 13
Forzafaithful99, 15 March 2016, 00:32
For a while, I bought it to the whole "Manuals are the only way to go, automatics are lame" mentality without having driven a manual proficiently myself. Well, I started learning and have a new found appreciation for my automatic... and manuals. I have to say that after learning more about them and practicing (ehem...stalling) -a lot- I definitely appreciate them as drivers cars. In general, I find manuals to feel faster and more fun even if they're not. You have more of a sense of control. However, they are actually tiring to drive, and when I'm driving back from a track meet or whatever late at night... I appreciate the simplicity of a two pedal car. So I guess what I'm getting at is: what do you prefer? Of course they each have their own perks in different situations... but what if you had to pick one for the rest of your life?

Forzafaithful99
W16, 15 March 2016, 00:45
I can't really vote for either. I daily drive a manual and you reach a point where it's not a burden anymore, it just feels natural. But it all depends on the car. My car, a Focus ST, would be boring with an automatic so it's rewarding being able to row the gears. I've driven other cars, like the Cayman GT4 or Audi S4 that are absolutely ideal set up with a manual. But I've driven other cars like the 991 GT3 or McLaren 650S where I definitely appreciate their super fast transmissions.

I've come to the conclusion that any single-clutch transmission (early R8, 599, etc) should be manual, but the good dual-clutch (GT3, 650S, etc) are perfect how they are. As for a daily driver, it depends on your commute. Heavy traffic sucks but I don't deal with it much so I'm fine with it.

W16
from Pennsylvania
DjShift, 15 March 2016, 01:32
Call me lame if you want but nomatter the car, I'll always prefer an automatic.

DjShift
from Sodus Point, New York
sumosloths, 15 March 2016, 02:07
Automatics are loads better for traffic, hills, and parallel parking, all of which are very common in San Francisco (all three at once sometimes!).

I've still only had very little practice driving stick though, so I can't vote for either.
Last modified by sumosloths, 15 March 2016, 02:08

sumosloths
from South San Francisco, California
davisvehicles, 15 March 2016, 12:50
For sure a manual transmission. I daily drive one and like Jon said it just gets to be second nature. Also, many modern manual transmission cars come with hill starts so its not a problem. They are usually cheaper, just as easy to maintain, more fun to drive (im not talking about supercars/hypercars), and are a good repellent for car thieves who probably dont know how to drive them.

davisvehicles
from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
W16, 16 March 2016, 00:36
davisvehicles wrote:
For sure a manual transmission. I daily drive one and like Jon said it just gets to be second nature. Also, many modern manual transmission cars come with hill starts so its not a problem. They are usually cheaper, just as easy to maintain, more fun to drive (im not talking about supercars/hypercars), and are a good repellent for car thieves who probably dont know how to drive them.

All of this. I actually kinda hate the hill assist on my car because I kinda like dropping back and catching the car then going. But if there's a car an inch behind you then you're screwed.

W16
from Pennsylvania
ferrarilover1019, 16 March 2016, 04:00
manuals in alot of cases are more fun but now that i have owned my audi TT mk2 with the double clutch s-tronic gearbox it works like a charm, i get (somewhat) of a manual feel while still having the practicality of the automatic i heavy traffic.

ferrarilover1019
from Huntsville, Alabama
Mazdafreak, 16 March 2016, 14:26
Forzafaithful99 wrote:
... but what if you had to pick one for the rest of your life?

Manual. As of yet I have not driven anything with a DCT, but both of my parents' current cars are Tiptronic automatics, and they are not very well sorted out. When driven in manual mode, Tiptronic is tolerable, but even then, it is a bit like the single clutch transmissions that Jon mentioned in that they don't really shift much faster than you can with a clutch pedal, and aren't nearly as smooth as I can shift in my manual A6. Yes traffic can be annoying when you're driving a manual, but it's not like it just goes away if you're in an automatic, and if you learn how to drive a manual properly, you'll find that traffic really isn't a deal breaker.

If I raced competitively, I would get something with a DCT. But that's the only time I would ever want to drive a DCT.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
W16, 16 March 2016, 22:26
Mazdafreak wrote:
Forzafaithful99 wrote:

Manual.

Didn't see that coming ;) Some single-clutch transmissions are even slower than manual. I drove an E60 M5 pretty hard and it was noticeably laggy compared to what could be done with the manual. Most of those "automated manual" transmissions really should just be manual. I drove a 599 HGTE and you have to take your foot off the gas every time you click the paddle or it lurches in its shifts. So just make it manual, dammit...

W16
from Pennsylvania
Mazdafreak, 16 March 2016, 22:44
W16 wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:
Forzafaithful99 wrote:

Manual.

Didn't see that coming ;) Some single-clutch transmissions are even slower than manual. I drove an E60 M5 pretty hard and it was noticeably laggy compared to what could be done with the manual. Most of those "automated manual" transmissions really should just be manual. I drove a 599 HGTE and you have to take your foot off the gas every time you click the paddle or it lurches in its shifts. So just make it manual, dammit...

Haha. I didn't realize that you had to take your foot off the gas in a single-clutch unit. That is pretty stupid in my opinion because I guess you don't have the ability to manually control when the clutch engages and disengages. The SMG (which was in most E60 M5s) was almost unanimously panned by the automotive media and eventually led BMW to offer it with a real manual later in the generation, although finding an E60 M5 with a manual is pretty hard because they made like fewer than 2,000 of them.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
smb127, 17 March 2016, 01:54
My god...

Every day that I drive my car I wish it was a manual. Are you people nuts?

SUUUURE. I am well aware that the flappy paddle boxes are lighting fast, I've driven plenty.

Until you have tracked a manual car, you will not understand what it is like to be one with the machine. Driving an F1 gearbox, or Lambo E-gear is like a video game. What's the fun in that if I can do the same in my bedroom?

There is a clear demand world-wide for dual-clutch automatic transmissions. The manufacturer does not do it particularly for faster shifts, it is for increased sales. A car that anyone and your grandma can drive all day long with no issue.

No disrespect to the dual-clutches, simply a preference.

smb127
from Illinois
Mazdafreak, 17 March 2016, 02:43
smb127 wrote:
Every day that I drive my car I wish it was a manual.

I'm just curious, is your car the A6 2.7T in your profile pic?

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
loislois76, 18 March 2016, 08:24
I had both. Manual Alfa 147 GTA, R170 SLK 230K, E91 BMW 320d... and automatic F30 BMW 328ix.
The 8 speed sport-automatic form BMW is very good!

I would say, for daily use (traffic jams....) automatic is better. For fun an circuit manual is way better.

loislois76
Forzafaithful99, 19 March 2016, 11:27
[quote="smb127"]

Until you have tracked a manual car, you will not understand what it is like to be one with the machine. Driving an F1 gearbox, or Lambo E-gear is like a video game. What's the fun in that if I can do the same in my bedroom?
/quote]

This is how I feel about performance cars, a third pedal just gives it more personality, makes it more fun IMO. That's why I like the V8 Vantage more than the GTR.
Last modified by Forzafaithful99, 19 March 2016, 11:27

Forzafaithful99
QAZ, 21 March 2016, 19:30
manual for sure :) im loving my 308 GTLine in 6-speed Manual :D

QAZ
from London, United Kingdom
Post a reply