Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
Ferrarifanman, 07 February 2016, 06:33
From CAR_DESIGNER_GAB. All of those were literally just outside the Lamborghini Newport Beach Cars & Coffee, and it appears as if he's trying to pass these off as legit spots. Those cars were IN THE SHOW, and he just took pictures of them either entering or leaving. They are not real spots. Look at how tightly cropped they are. That's because there were hordes of people just to the left/right. He is going against what this site is about, and they need to be removed.

I just left a comment on his Saleen S7 "spot" addressing a comparison he made to Car Week spots, making excuses for why he shouldn't remove the photos.

Ferrarifanman
Mtweedel13, 07 February 2016, 06:43
I noticed how almost all of the cars matched descriptions in "what did you see today?"

Mtweedel13
from Riverview, Florida
MrHOC, 07 February 2016, 20:23
This post was deleted 08 February 2016, 05:17 by MrHOC
Deleted account
FanOfSuperCars, 08 February 2016, 01:30
This post was deleted 08 February 2016, 03:39 by FanOfSuperCars

FanOfSuperCars
from Middle Of The Ocean, Unknown Country
r8lover, 08 February 2016, 03:36
MrHOC wrote:
What's up with all of this? The site is declining rapidly.

Yes, blame the website for the actions of a user who doesn't want to follow the rules.
Deleted account
gregg, 08 February 2016, 18:06
Ferrarifanman wrote:
From CAR_DESIGNER_GAB. All of those were literally just outside the Lamborghini Newport Beach Cars & Coffee, and it appears as if he's trying to pass these off as legit spots. Those cars were IN THE SHOW, and he just took pictures of them either entering or leaving. They are not real spots. Look at how tightly cropped they are. That's because there were hordes of people just to the left/right. He is going against what this site is about, and they need to be removed.

I just left a comment on his Saleen S7 "spot" addressing a comparison he made to Car Week spots, making excuses for why he shouldn't remove the photos.

Super cropped-in photos are usually not featured anyways because of this reason. Regarding this type of "spotting", I'm calling these pseudo spots. They're not real spottings, but if they show the vehicles on public streets/roads/environments in interesting ways, then they can remain on the site. However, if the photos are being taken literally where the cars enter/leave, then I will delete them. It's got to be more creative than that.

Photos of real spottings will have an easier time getting featured and highlighted, and I still want to know which photos are near car shows/dealerships so we can tag them as pseudo spots (this should be mentioned in the description). If it's not, I'd like you guys to report those photos using the report feature (each photo page has a link where you can report the photo and provide a comment, I read those). There's no way for me to know every cars and coffee meetup and what to look out for, so we rely on the community to keep the integrity high.

gregg
cargame_parker, 08 February 2016, 18:30
I was going to ask if the Spots of the Week will start being based on quality of the shot and the exotic? Usually they seem to be only shots of the hardest cars to find but some of the pictures are not all that great. Just an idea.

cargame_parker
from Davidson , North Carolina
sumosloths, 08 February 2016, 19:34
gregg wrote:
Ferrarifanman wrote:

Super cropped-in photos are usually not featured anyways because of this reason. Regarding this type of "spotting", I'm calling these pseudo spots. They're not real spottings, but if they show the vehicles on public streets/roads/environments in interesting ways, then they can remain on the site. However, if the photos are being taken literally where the cars enter/leave, then I will delete them. It's got to be more creative than that.

Photos of real spottings will have an easier time getting featured and highlighted, and I still want to know which photos are near car shows/dealerships so we can tag them as pseudo spots (this should be mentioned in the description). If it's not, I'd like you guys to report those photos using the report feature (each photo page has a link where you can report the photo and provide a comment, I read those). There's no way for me to know every cars and coffee meetup and what to look out for, so we rely on the community to keep the integrity high.

Quick question about pseudo-spots: Are all car week spots pseudo-spots if the car is not moving? I understand that spectator lot photos are unfeatured, but one of my shots from a hotel was also unfeatured.

sumosloths
from South San Francisco, California
jackrabbit898, 11 February 2016, 01:22
gregg wrote:
Ferrarifanman wrote:

Gregg thanks for making that not featured car week rule, I personally feel those spots aren't very legit.

jackrabbit898
from Houston, Texas
SDJ2_Photography, 11 February 2016, 14:15
jackrabbit898 wrote:
Gregg thanks for making that not featured car week rule, I personally feel those spots aren't very legit.

Sounds like someone's jealous...^^^

Also, wouldn't the unfeaturing of Car Week photos directly refute what you've said in the past about only featuring or selectively featuring photos with better quality and better backgrounds? The "ES Elites" usually go to car week, and return with very high quality images of some of the most amazing and rare cars in the world? I think it would make much more sense if only poor quality Car Week photos were unfeatured, or those of cars with nothing particularly special about them, like an F430 or something. Things that are unique to Car Week or are very rare or seldom-seen should still be featured.

SDJ2_Photography
from Pittsford, New York
hyoung90, 11 February 2016, 16:38
SDJ2_Photography wrote:
jackrabbit898 wrote:

Also, wouldn't the unfeaturing of Car Week photos directly refute what you've said in the past about only featuring or selectively featuring photos with better quality and better backgrounds? The "ES Elites" usually go to car week, and return with very high quality images of some of the most amazing and rare cars in the world? I think it would make much more sense if only poor quality Car Week photos were unfeatured, or those of cars with nothing particularly special about them, like an F430 or something. Things that are unique to Car Week or are very rare or seldom-seen should still be featured.

Spencer, i'm pretty sure that's what Gregg meant. He'll still let Car Week photos to be featured, however, only those that are worth being featured.
Also, @Jackrabbit, car week spots are still legit. It's the same idea as Dubai having loads of exotics more so than usual during F1 season for example, while Car Week is basically having events in the same confide city, you'd still have to go and spot the cars as they could literally be in any corner of the damn city. Just because cars from all over the country show up in one city, doesn't make it "not legit"
But that's just my two cents.
Last modified by hyoung90, 11 February 2016, 16:40

hyoung90
from Dallas, Texas
sumosloths, 11 February 2016, 16:55
hyoung90 wrote:
SDJ2_Photography wrote:
jackrabbit898 wrote:

Spencer, i'm pretty sure that's what Gregg meant. He'll still let Car Week photos to be featured, however, only those that are worth being featured.
Also, @Jackrabbit, car week spots are still legit. It's the same idea as Dubai having loads of exotics more so than usual during F1 season for example, while Car Week is basically having events in the same confide city, you'd still have to go and spot the cars as they could literally be in any corner of the damn city. Just because cars from all over the country show up in one city, doesn't make it "not legit"
But that's just my two cents.

If car week spots aren't legit, then neither are spots from Beverly Hills, Monaco, London, Dubai, etc.

sumosloths
from South San Francisco, California
gregg, 11 February 2016, 17:25
I started this site because I felt the beauty of an exotic car is amplified when it's photographed out in public, among everyday things. Photos from shows and dealers are boring and all the same, and really reduce the beauty of an exotic.

Pseudo spots are acceptable if they capture this beauty in some way. Yes, an exotic parked in spectator parking lot is technically not part of the show, but those photos can get boring and are very unlikely to get featured (unless it's an extremely rare car that the photographed captured at the right moment). If you're going to do a pseudo spot, try to at least capture the car on public roads.

So, when it comes to pseudo spots, I'm looking for that beauty captured. And it's a higher level of beauty because it's easier to get a shot.

As for real spottings, everyone should strive for those. It's fun getting a good shot of an unexpected car, and I want to reward photographers that capture that. With the new redesign, the plan is to assign more "points" to real spottings and make them easier to be featured because they're harder to capture. Also, anyone that tries to pass off a pseudo spot as a real spotting will be severely punished. The point is to keep an honest and fun community of spotters engaged and it doesn't have to be where "elite" photographers get all the glory. Anyone can spot an exotic on the road and capture a somewhat decent shot of it. That's what I'm looking for.

gregg
langnews, 11 February 2016, 21:41
gregg wrote:
I started this site because I felt the beauty of an exotic car is amplified when it's photographed out in public, among everyday things. Photos from shows and dealers are boring and all the same, and really reduce the beauty of an exotic.

Pseudo spots are acceptable if they capture this beauty in some way. Yes, an exotic parked in spectator parking lot is technically not part of the show, but those photos can get boring and are very unlikely to get featured (unless it's an extremely rare car that the photographed captured at the right moment). If you're going to do a pseudo spot, try to at least capture the car on public roads.

So, when it comes to pseudo spots, I'm looking for that beauty captured. And it's a higher level of beauty because it's easier to get a shot.

As for real spottings, everyone should strive for those. It's fun getting a good shot of an unexpected car, and I want to reward photographers that capture that. With the new redesign, the plan is to assign more "points" to real spottings and make them easier to be featured because they're harder to capture. Also, anyone that tries to pass off a pseudo spot as a real spotting will be severely punished. The point is to keep an honest and fun community of spotters engaged and it doesn't have to be where "elite" photographers get all the glory. Anyone can spot an exotic on the road and capture a somewhat decent shot of it. That's what I'm looking for.

Amen an haleluya! Thank you for setting the record straight regarding car week spots and spectator lots. I always felt like those shots weren't capturing the essence of what this site should be about. That's very encouraging to hear that the redesign of this site addresses those issues. Good on you!
Deleted account
Porsche_Romeo, 11 February 2016, 21:58
gregg wrote:

Awesome, can't wait for it

Porsche_Romeo
from Michigan
Post a reply