Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
c-osu7, 27 April 2014, 09:18
Thinking about getting a Nikon D90 or Nikon D5100. What do you guys think?

c-osu7
from Ohio
Mazdafreak, 27 April 2014, 10:23
Been reading reviews of both on Amazon. Honestly, It would be a coin flip for me, as both look to be great cameras.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
DjShift, 27 April 2014, 18:11
I would go with the D5100 BY FAR.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5100-vs-Nikon_D90

DjShift
from Sodus Point, New York
dallasexotics10, 27 April 2014, 19:16
I have a D5100. It is easy to use, even for a beginner like I was.

dallasexotics10
from Dallas, Texas
Adam M, 28 April 2014, 04:55
I need help with a getting a camera. I'm poor as s#!t and need a good but cheap camera, suggestions please?

Adam M
from Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
HAWPhotography, 16 September 2015, 00:16
Got a D3300 for my BDay today! Can someone explain to me basically what Shutter Speed, Exposure, and ISO do/change! thanks!
Deleted account
SDJ2_Photography, 16 September 2015, 01:35
HAWolf33 wrote:
Got a D3300 for my BDay today! Can someone explain to me basically what Shutter Speed, Exposure, and ISO do/change! thanks!

You're going to love it! I have one as well. The best way to learn is to play with all the controls yourself and figure it out that way, that's what I did and I love mine :)

SDJ2_Photography
from Pittsford, New York
HAWPhotography, 16 September 2015, 01:45
SDJ2 wrote:
HAWolf33 wrote:

You're going to love it! I have one as well. The best way to learn is to play with all the controls yourself and figure it out that way, that's what I did and I love mine :)

okay thanks! I already drained the battery lol!
Deleted account
DjShift, 16 September 2015, 02:40
HAWolf33 wrote:

Shutter speed is how long the shutter is open (quite obviously).

Exposure is almost the same but used more in telling someone if the photo looks too bright or too dark.

High ISO means faster photo, less motion blur but more grain. I like to leave mine on a low number but compensate for longer shutter speed by following the object.

DjShift
HAWPhotography, 16 September 2015, 11:51
DjShift wrote:
HAWolf33 wrote:

Shutter speed is how long the shutter is open (quite obviously).

Exposure is almost the same but used more in telling someone if the photo looks too bright or too dark.

High ISO means faster photo, less motion blur but more grain. I like to leave mine on a low number but compensate for longer shutter speed by following the object.

Okay!! Thanks!
Deleted account
Mazdafreak, 16 September 2015, 13:58
HAWolf33 wrote:

Okay...so shutter speed an exposure are basically the same thing. When someone asks "what was the shutter speed?" or "how long did you expose it for?" they are asking the same thing. It's like asking someone if they drive a manual or stick shift. Aperture is the amount of light that the camera takes in...if you make a circle with your index finger and thumb and then make that circle smaller and smaller, you'll get the idea of what happens inside the camera. ISO allows you to shoot in darker areas without using a ridiculously long shutter speed; for instance, if you wanted to shoot a car at night, but not use the flash (which distorts the shot and brings attention to yourself), at ISO 100 or 200 you'd need a shutter speed of about 1 second, and unless you have a tripod with you or another surface to rest the camera on, it's impossible to keep it perfectly still for a second. If you crank the ISO up to 1600 or 3200, you can shoot with a faster shutter speed, and the lighting will appear the same as at ISO 100, but there will be more noise. So usually if possible I try to shoot at ISO 100 or 200.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
HAWPhotography, 16 September 2015, 16:58
Mazdafreak wrote:
HAWolf33 wrote:

Okay...so shutter speed an exposure are basically the same thing. When someone asks "what was the shutter speed?" or "how long did you expose it for?" they are asking the same thing. It's like asking someone if they drive a manual or stick shift. Aperture is the amount of light that the camera takes in...if you make a circle with your index finger and thumb and then make that circle smaller and smaller, you'll get the idea of what happens inside the camera. ISO allows you to shoot in darker areas without using a ridiculously long shutter speed; for instance, if you wanted to shoot a car at night, but not use the flash (which distorts the shot and brings attention to yourself), at ISO 100 or 200 you'd need a shutter speed of about 1 second, and unless you have a tripod with you or another surface to rest the camera on, it's impossible to keep it perfectly still for a second. If you crank the ISO up to 1600 or 3200, you can shoot with a faster shutter speed, and the lighting will appear the same as at ISO 100, but there will be more noise. So usually if possible I try to shoot at ISO 100 or 200.

Thanks! would anyone suggest any battery grips!? Im looking into them, but not sure if i need one
Deleted account
Mazdafreak, 16 September 2015, 18:18
HAWolf33 wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:
HAWolf33 wrote:

Thanks! would anyone suggest any battery grips!? Im looking into them, but not sure if i need one

I find my D3300 perfectly comfortable as it is. I'd think that a battery grip would make it more bulky, so I wouldn't go for one.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
FanOfSuperCars, 16 September 2015, 21:25
Mazdafreak wrote:
HAWolf33 wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:
HAWolf33 wrote:

I find my D3300 perfectly comfortable as it is. I'd think that a battery grip would make it more bulky, so I wouldn't go for one.

I don't think a battery grip is necessary.

FanOfSuperCars
from Middle Of The Ocean, Unknown Country
DjShift, 17 September 2015, 02:54
Don't buy a battery grip, just buy more batteries instead.

Also, buy a few medium sized SD cards, not one huge one. They can corrupt at the worst moments.
Last modified by DjShift, 17 September 2015, 02:55

DjShift
Post a reply