Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
pdkcars, 11 February 2018, 00:31
Today was an interesting one. Sorry, this is gonna be a long one:

So I was at The Rim for a few hours and then I went to La Cantera. It's a Saturday so it's packed, and I normally spot during the week so I'm not only not used to that but I also hate that. But it means one thing, crazy spots.

First thing I whipped out my camera for was a Yas Marina Blue M4 with a white interior and the rare sunroof option. I had just spotted an Austin Yellow M4 last week and so why not get pictures my other top favorite M4 color?

So I do my business and I notice that some people are looking at me. Despite the flashiness of the car, people are giving me wild look as they pass by. I'm not looking suspicious lol, I look like a normal and clean mall shopper with sunglasses on (due to my eye condition). People just act like they've never seen a damn camera before. One lady walking with I guess her family even eyeballed me all the way to the entrance of a store and then she had the nerve to stop and just look. I looked back at her, tee'd off and making a "really b*tch" face and she walked off.

Well, an Audi S8 Plus is a few yards away in the actual valet. I get pictures and people walking by look normal and strangely people note that it's an awesome car... okay a white Audi luxobarge is more eyecatching then a tropical skittle colored BMW with a wide track? F430 Scud pulls up outside the valet and parks, owner lets me get pictures and I of course go into photoshoot mode to ensure I get good pics in not the best or most photogenic situation. Some people notice the car but others again only notice me and act like they've never seen a camera. After the Scuderia, I relax and walk around and shop and pass a few parking lots like always.
Last modified by pdkcars, 11 February 2018, 00:34

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
pdkcars, 11 February 2018, 00:31
Well, about 30 minutes before I leave, I'm walking by another parking lot. This security guard who is always nice and knows what I do pulls up beside me and stops. He's the guy who told me there was no problem in getting pictures of cars because I obviously don't do anything or act funny. He's laughing saying "somebody reported you" he goes on to say that somebody phoned them up and made a report of... "a suspicious black (I'm mixed lol) guy walking around the parking lots" and he said "oh I know him, he doesn't do anything he's a student who gets his exercise by walking around (true lol)" and he says that she is like "are you suuuure?" we had a good laugh lol and he explained that if I ever have a heard time to tell the other guards, who he knows act like they're the law, that I know him.

At first I laughed it off because I'm glad I can finally take pictures without ever having to worry, it's a weight off my shoulder to know nobody should bug me and can't do anything about me wanting to spot because that's been a big problem last year. But now, I'm just thinking and it's kind of disgusting. It couldn't have been the lady who saw me taking pictures of the M4 because she definitely would've noted that I was taking pictures. Somebody actually got up here and reported me for walking around and had the gall to mention my race...

I mean, nobody can do anything about it and there's comfort in knowing that, but the way people react to me taking pictures and now simply walking around to get pictures... I mean... what? I'm cool with the valets, they know what I do, and now I'm cool with the security guards. And the owners of these cars. But randoms apparently have a problem with it. Some apparently have a problem with me walking.

Has this happened to anybody else? What are you thoughts on this?
Last modified by pdkcars, 11 February 2018, 00:40

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
FastMojo2, 11 February 2018, 13:34
Some people (like that lady) might just misunderstood what you're trying to do. She might just be suspicious at you, thinking that you're trying to do something bad with the car (e.g. stealing it) despite you didn't meant to.

It's best that you avoid getting around the said place at the same time when that person is around.
Last modified by FastMojo2, 11 February 2018, 13:40

FastMojo2
from Jakarta, Indonesia
ALB15, 11 February 2018, 21:37
Something like this (kinda-not really) has happened to me before. I was taking pictures of a California parked near a store in La Jolla, when a lady and her daughter walked up to me. The lady was fine with me taking pictures but then her 5 year old daughter started throwing a tantrum and almost knocked my camera out of my hands. I backed up and asked the lady to,"Please keep control of your daughter," and (thank god) she did not freak out and did keep her daughter under control. Afterwards some random guy asked why I was taking pictures of peoples license plates, and if I was with the FBI.

Also (kind of off topic), one time I was in B.H. and was taking pictures of a parked Aventador when a random guy walked out of a bank and said he liked that I was taking pics of your car. I said your welcome, but then he said that he was just joking. He walked away and then, soon after, the owner gave me a Lamborghini of B.H. wristband, hopped in the Aventador, and drove off. About 3 minutes later I saw the guy who pretended the Lambo was his, drive away in a new GTC4 Lusso and wave to me.

ALB15
racemanryan, 15 February 2018, 02:23
Happened to me too. I'm from a smaller town, and one day I saw my first C7 Corvette at the local Texas Steakhouse. I decided to take some photos of it. While I'm taking some photos, a lady and the two girls who were with her come running towards me. The lady asks "What are you doing?!" I explained I was taking photos of the car, it was my first time seeing one. She said, "Oh, one of the employees said that someone was breaking into my car!" I was like, "Ma'am I can assure you I'm just taking photos of the car." Apparently, one of the employees on their smoke break decided to report me to the manager, who then pass on the word to the owner. I talked to her for a minute about the car, got permission to take more photos, and all was well.

racemanryan
from Rocky Mount, North Carolina
carguyjt, 15 February 2018, 05:01
Happened to me several times at a place called the landmark. had some great spots there and after a while this one lady would keep coming up and telling us what we were doing was illegal. We always explained to her it wasn't but she wouldn't listen. we went to a cop and asked him about it, and his words were "what is that hag's problem?" he told us that if we got any more trouble from her that we could say "____ from the Greenwood Village Police department confirmed the legality for us. and then of course it happened again but this time a security guard stepped in and told her she was just trying make life less fun and to back off and let us do our thing. of course she didn't take that too well and decided to call the cops on my friends and me. she told them we were taking pictures of people without consent, which she knew wasn't the case because we explained what we were doing numerous times. so the cops eventually came and all that happened was them telling us that we should probably stop just so she would stop yelling at us and they told her that she wasted their time. Anyways, that was an interesting summer.

carguyjt
from Littleton, Colorado
Leaf_Soto, 15 February 2018, 05:39
racemanryan wrote:
Happened to me too. I'm from a smaller town, and one day I saw my first C7 Corvette at the local Texas Steakhouse. I decided to take some photos of it. While I'm taking some photos, a lady and the two girls who were with her come running towards me. The lady asks "What are you doing?!" I explained I was taking photos of the car, it was my first time seeing one. She said, "Oh, one of the employees said that someone was breaking into my car!" I was like, "Ma'am I can assure you I'm just taking photos of the car." Apparently, one of the employees on their smoke break decided to report me to the manager, who then pass on the word to the owner. I talked to her for a minute about the car, got permission to take more photos, and all was well.

Talk about overreactions. C7's aren't even worth that much.

Leaf_Soto
from Kansas
racemanryan, 15 February 2018, 13:28
Leaf_Soto wrote:
racemanryan wrote:

Talk about overreactions. C7's aren't even worth that much.

Haha well Corvettes in general are few and far between in Rocky Mount and that was the first C7. Also, I think she was right to overreact at first cause she thought someone was stealing her brand new Corvette. It was an overreaction, however, on the part of the restaurant employee.

racemanryan
from Rocky Mount, North Carolina
pdkcars, 15 February 2018, 17:02
I'd say her reaction was right. Especially considering she understood and had no problem with what you were doing after you told her about it. Some people, doesn't matter what they drive, don't really know much about photography especially when it comes to taking pictures of their cars but if you just tell them they're 99% of the time okay with it.

The only person I had trouble with was an M5 owner who ran a hated business in town. His car was in the valet and I was getting pictures of it. He got irate. I told him exactly what I was doing and he was still being an a***ole and acted like he was hard of hearing. If that were today I'd be like "the valets are okay with it and the security guards are too, if you don't back up I'm gonna call the cops okay?" like I don't get intimidated anymore lol. I'm just still shocked that somebody had the nerve to report me but if anybody who isn't the owner approaches me with a problem, that's their problem.
Last modified by pdkcars, 15 February 2018, 17:05

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
Post a reply