Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
Is it a good idea?
Yes

No

Not for my country, but maybe it is in yours

Total: 16
DjShift, 21 October 2014, 02:06
While sitting in business class today unable to concentrate and insanely bored, i had (what i think is) an awesome idea. Since nowadays anyone can go on the internet and buy a remote controlled drone with a camera attached for less than $1,000, wouldn't it be awesome to have one for spotting? Imagine the angles you can get with one of those things flying above the streets. And how much easier it would be to tell if there are any exotics out when you don't feel like doing all the walking to check for yourself. Who else agrees it's an awesome idea?

DjShift
from Sodus Point, New York
DjShift, 21 October 2014, 02:25
Also just realized my wording of the title made it sound like i meant spotting the drones themselves. I mean spotting cars using a drone with a camera hooked onto it.

DjShift
sumosloths, 21 October 2014, 02:40
The past couple times I've gone to Cars & Coffee San Francisco, someone has brought their drone there and gotten some aerial shots of all the cars. It seems like a fun idea for spotting, since you won't have to run into the middle of the street for shots. I'm not sure how good they are for photos though. GoPro cameras are cool for videos but basically useless for pictures.

Also, a lot of people hate drones and you'd probably get kicked out of a lot of places.

sumosloths
from South San Francisco, California
xXFerrariFanXx, 21 October 2014, 07:02
It definitely is catching on, when I went to C&C at Lambo Palm Beach they had one. It did get stuck on the roof, though

xXFerrariFanXx
from Florida
Cars4life1323, 21 October 2014, 09:13
At the LJ Concours a few months ago, a drone was flying over the event and a seagull flew into it making it plummet 100 ft onto the back on a Duesenberg.

Cars4life1323
from San Diego, California
beckerman, 21 October 2014, 09:18
I think it's an awesome idea. That is a great idea but I have no money.

beckerman
from Hoyt, Kansas
DjShift, 21 October 2014, 12:48
Cars4life1323 wrote:
At the LJ Concours a few months ago, a drone was flying over the event and a seagull flew into it making it plummet 100 ft onto the back on a Duesenberg.

Well that sounds terrible. Did it do any damage?

DjShift
DjShift, 21 October 2014, 12:50
sumosloths wrote:
The past couple times I've gone to Cars & Coffee San Francisco, someone has brought their drone there and gotten some aerial shots of all the cars. It seems like a fun idea for spotting, since you won't have to run into the middle of the street for shots. I'm not sure how good they are for photos though. GoPro cameras are cool for videos but basically useless for pictures.

Also, a lot of people hate drones and you'd probably get kicked out of a lot of places.

I was talking to someone else in class about it too and he said his cousin (in canada) got one with an HD photo camera attached for only $1,200.

But why do people hate them?

DjShift
sumosloths, 21 October 2014, 14:43
DjShift wrote:
I was talking to someone else in class about it too and he said his cousin (in canada) got one with an HD photo camera attached for only $1,200.

People hate them because I guess they're annoying and kinda scary. People could also feel like you're trying to take photos of them or something idk. I think there could also be problems with vandals who'll throw rocks at them and stuff.

Also $1200 is still pretty damn expensive for me.
Last modified by sumosloths, 21 October 2014, 19:43

sumosloths
from South San Francisco, California
nyexphotography, 21 October 2014, 14:53
I had one and it crashed and burned.

nyexphotography
from Rochester , New York
CountOfTuscany, 21 October 2014, 18:42
I thought of this once. It's a great idea, in my opinion.

CountOfTuscany
from United States
DjShift, 21 October 2014, 20:56
sumosloths wrote:
DjShift wrote:

People hate them because I guess they're annoying and kinda scary. People could also feel like you're trying to take photos of them or something idk. I think there could also be problems with vandals who'll throw rocks at them and stuff.

Also $1200 is still pretty damn expensive for me.

True. Didn't think of the people who would try taking it down. Although if it's above the street i don't think many people would try throwing stuff because of the cars underneath but guns and BB guns might be a problem.

DjShift
Cars4life1323, 22 October 2014, 00:08
My high school football team has a drone to get an overhead view of our practices. It's cool when you watch the film but the drone is really loud, obnoxious, and distracting so it's easy to see why people dislike them.

Cars4life1323
from San Diego, California
A_A_L, 22 October 2014, 00:53
Drones aren't necessarily a bad thing if strictly used ONLY on public property. But it's only a matter of time before some idiots take it too far and fly a drone over some rich person's private property to get a shot of the cars in his driveway or something like that. Invasion of privacy violations must be taken very seriously.

Paparazzi already do similar things over celebrity homes. Big problem.

The State of California is already working on laws to regulate drone use:

http://www.losangelesregister.com/articles/drones-604497-drone-use.html
Last modified by A_A_L, 22 October 2014, 06:04
Deleted account
DjShift, 22 October 2014, 01:34
Cars4life1323 wrote:
My high school football team has a drone to get an overhead view of our practices. It's cool when you watch the film but the drone is really loud, obnoxious, and distracting so it's easy to see why people dislike them.

I've never seen one in person so i didn't know any of that. Definitely good information.

DjShift
Post a reply