Mclaren F1

Bugatti Veyron

Ferrari F40

Koenigsegg Agera R

Hennessy Venom GT

Other

Total: 23
MrDoppler, 14 October 2015, 13:21
What supercars have made the biggest historical impact in your opinion?
Last modified by MrDoppler, 14 October 2015, 13:24

MrDoppler
from Denver, Colorado
Mazdafreak, 14 October 2015, 17:04
Might not get much love, but the original Honda/Acura NSX was extremely revolutionary as well. Before it was launched, exotics were only occasional weekend cars, because they were usually very unreliable and uncomfortable. It is argued among enthusiasts that the NSX forced Ferrari and Lamborghini to up its game, because the NSX was so much more comfortable and reliable. Just look on Cars.com, there are plenty of NSXs with 70,000+ miles. How many Ferraris and Lamborghinis could handle that much use?

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
Diablo_SV, 14 October 2015, 18:48
Either Miura or 300SL imo.

Diablo_SV
from Rochester, New York
Twinbros22, 14 October 2015, 19:09
I totally agree @Mazdafreak

I also think the Porsche 959 changed history.

Twinbros22
from South Carolina
Ma-auto, 14 October 2015, 20:18
Well the F1 basically created the Veyron...

Ma-auto
from Boston, Massachusetts
ianr22, 14 October 2015, 20:22
Either F40 or 300SL
Deleted account
ianr22, 14 October 2015, 20:23
Countach too
Deleted account
Pantera1973, 14 October 2015, 20:23
I think we need to go back a bit further to the beginnings of the Supercar.

Cars like the Lamborghini Miura, Detomaso Mangusta, Detomaso Pantera, Maserati Bora, Lamborghini Countach, Ferrari Boxer.

These cars provided performance on levels that had never been seen before and had mid-engined chassis & technology right off the racetrack.

Imagine going into a showroom in 1966 and seeing this sitting there; it must have looked like a spaceship compared to cars that most people had ever seen before!

[https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Detomaso_Mangusta_Alameda.jpg]

[http://www.carsbase.com/photo/DeTomaso-Mangusta_mp188_pic_82978.jpg]
Last modified by Pantera1973, 14 October 2015, 21:37

Pantera1973
from Knoxville, Tennessee
ianr22, 14 October 2015, 20:24
Pantera1973 wrote:
I think we need to go back a bit further to the beginnings of the Supercar.

Cars like the Lamborghini Miura, Detomaso Mangusta, Detomaso Pantera, Maserati Bora, Lamborghini Countach, Ferrari Boxer.

These cars provided performance on levels that had never been seen before and with mid-engined chassis & technology right off the racetrack.

Imagine going into a showroom in 1966 and seeing this sitting there; it must have looked like a spaceship compared to cars that most people had even seen before!

[https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Detomaso_Mangusta_Alameda.jpg]

[http://www.carsbase.com/photo/DeTomaso-Mangusta_mp188_pic_82978.jpg]

The Mangusta is such a beautiful car
Deleted account
F355LOVER, 14 October 2015, 21:48
I don't think there is a single Supercar that changed history but probably at least 5. The first I believe would be the Mercedes 300 SL because it was the first real performance car you could buy and use. The Second I believe is the Lamborghini Miura mostly because of its mid mounted engine which paved the way for almost all Supercar's that followed. Third would probably be the F40 which was the first to reach 200 mph and at the time the it was the most advanced. Fourth would be the Mclaren F1 which reached 241 mph making it the fastest car in the world at the time. Fifth would be the Bugatti Veyron which was the fastest car in the world, but you could still use it everyday if you wanted to.

F355LOVER
from Cincinnati, Ohio
Mustang1, 14 October 2015, 21:59
250 gt cali

Mustang1
from Chattanooga, Tennessee
r8lover, 15 October 2015, 02:36
Mazdafreak wrote:
Might not get much love, but the original Honda/Acura NSX was extremely revolutionary as well. Before it was launched, exotics were only occasional weekend cars, because they were usually very unreliable and uncomfortable. It is argued among enthusiasts that the NSX forced Ferrari and Lamborghini to up its game, because the NSX was so much more comfortable and reliable. Just look on Cars.com, there are plenty of NSXs with 70,000+ miles. How many Ferraris and Lamborghinis could handle that much use?

No, I do agree with you there. When it is compared with the NSX, the 348 was really not a good buy at all. It got the same performance for much more money and much less reliability.
Deleted account
r8lover, 15 October 2015, 02:37
Lol to the Agera and Venom GT being on this list. The former is a lesson in how to make up all kinds of stuff about having an amazing top speed and having everyone believe you (without ever proving it), while the latter is merely a lesson in how to modify a Lotus Exige.
Last modified by r8lover, 15 October 2015, 02:38
Deleted account
Lamborarri, 15 October 2015, 02:42
Driveblox man wrote:
Well the F1 basically created the Veyron...

Yep. Just like the Veyron pretty much created the SSC Ultimate Aero and Hennessey Venom GT.

And I think the F40 changed supercar history, mostly because it left a benchmark for future Ferraris IMO. And it was also the last car built under the guidance of Enzo himself, as he passed a few months after.

Lamborarri
from Illinois
Post a reply