Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
pdkcars, 07 June 2018, 22:55
Just curious as to what sort of lenses you guys like you use for spotting.

I've been using a Canon 50mm f/1.8 for a while. It's a great lens with excellent image quality for the price. I love the bokeh, even at f/2.2. If you shoot at f/1.8 with the nifty fifty it's not terrible but just not as sharp. And the chromatic aberration is a bit annoying. It's an easy fix in Lightroom but if you shoot a blue, red or purple car it becomes annoying because if you remove all aberration part of the car's color is changed as well. So you have to spend like 10 minutes doing it individually. Otherwise it's been great but it's time for a change. I ordered a 28mm f/1.8 a few days ago and it's on its way.

Just too tight, that 50mm. I've dealt with it for over a year and it's sometimes a pain how far I have to stand back for a proper angle. I've missed some spots because I knew that I was limited with the 50mm in such situations. And though I know that the 50mm provides a unique perspective for spotting to others, I've grown way too used to the look. The 28mm will allow me to try newer angles, be less frustrating to use and offer a more natural looking perspective. So I'm happy with my new purchase!

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
Post a reply