Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
ALB15, 07 October 2017, 18:59
I know a lot of spotters on ES use Canon as there camera and I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on lenses. I currently have a Canon EOS Rebel T5 with a kit 18-55mm and a 70-300mm. I am thinking about selling the 18-55mm and buying a new 24-105mm f/4L because I have heard it is a good lens. The only problem is that it is around $1,050, so I want to be sure it is a good lens for spotting before purchasing it. If anyone uses this and recommends it or does not recommend it, please let me know :) Much thanks, ALB15!

ALB15
Maryland_Cars, 09 October 2017, 00:46
ALB15 wrote:
I know a lot of spotters on ES use Canon as there camera and I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on lenses. I currently have a Canon EOS Rebel T5 with a kit 18-55mm and a 70-300mm. I am thinking about selling the 18-55mm and buying a new 24-105mm f/4L because I have heard it is a good lens. The only problem is that it is around $1,050, so I want to be sure it is a good lens for spotting before purchasing it. If anyone uses this and recommends it or does not recommend it, please let me know :) Much thanks, ALB15!

That's actually exactly what I was planning on doing! How much do you think you will get for the 18-55mm lense?

Maryland_Cars
from Kent Island, Maryland
racemanryan, 09 October 2017, 02:32
ALB15 wrote:

I use the 18-55 for all of my car photos found here
My other lense is a 55-200, which is amazing for far away photos (I usually use it for animal photography)
I have a T3i but I am thinking about upgrading to a T7i with both of those lenses.

racemanryan
from Rocky Mount, North Carolina
ALB15, 09 October 2017, 13:51
This post was deleted 09 October 2017, 13:55 by ALB15

ALB15
ALB15, 09 October 2017, 13:53
racemanryan wrote:
ALB15 wrote:

I use the 18-55 for all of my car photos found here
My other lense is a 55-200, which is amazing for far away photos (I usually use it for animal photography)
I have a T3i but I am thinking about upgrading to a T7i with both of those lenses.

Nice bro...if you want to go for the T7i go for it...that's what I would do. As for the lenses I already have one for animal photography (a 70-300mm), so I might go with the 24-105 f/4L as it is going to fulfill my needs more :)

ALB15
ALB15, 09 October 2017, 13:55
Maryland_Cars wrote:
ALB15 wrote:

That's actually exactly what I was planning on doing! How much do you think you will get for the 18-55mm lense?

The price for a refurbished/used 18-55mm is $199.99 so around $100 would be how much I'm expecting to receive hopefully, but if not all the money I get helps. :)

ALB15
CarShowStuff, 10 October 2017, 09:49
throw away the 70-300. its junk. (well its worth about $75 on ebay) that lens doesn't have image stabilization.

I think that 24-105 f4 lens is probably a good "all purpose lens" but it's got alot more reach then you need for car spotting. I'd go for sigma 18-35 f1.8. That's a real fast lens that will take amazing pictures in day or night.

CarShowStuff
from Warsaw, Poland
ALB15, 10 October 2017, 13:41
CarShowStuff wrote:
throw away the 70-300. its junk. (well its worth about $75 on ebay) that lens doesn't have image stabilization.

I think that 24-105 f4 lens is probably a good "all purpose lens" but it's got alot more reach then you need for car spotting. I'd go for sigma 18-35 f1.8. That's a real fast lens that will take amazing pictures in day or night.

True...didn't think of the 18-35mm fl.8, but one of my friends has it and recommeneded it too. I will look into that one, but probably still go for the 25-104 f/4L because it will serve lots of purposes for me, as I go on vacation a lot and take pictures there and shoot portraits and close ups.

Also, my 70-300mm is not trash. It does have stablization and is worth well over $75.00! The 70-300mm lens I have is the top of it's line: the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM. I paid over $1,000 for it, and am very happy with it. Never throwing that away...ever. But thanks, for the help. I might buy both the 24-105mm f/4L and the 18-35mm f.l.8.

ALB15
FanOfSuperCars, 10 October 2017, 23:17
CarShowStuff wrote:

Unless you only are taking photos of parked cars and from not too far away 35mm (+ crop sensor factor) might not be enough reach.
Last modified by FanOfSuperCars, 11 October 2017, 00:44

FanOfSuperCars
from Middle Of The Ocean, Unknown Country
CarShowStuff, 11 October 2017, 01:10
ALB15 wrote:
CarShowStuff wrote:

True...didn't think of the 18-35mm fl.8, but one of my friends has it and recommeneded it too. I will look into that one, but probably still go for the 25-104 f/4L because it will serve lots of purposes for me, as I go on vacation a lot and take pictures there and shoot portraits and close ups.

Also, my 70-300mm is not trash. It does have stablization and is worth well over $75.00! The 70-300mm lens I have is the top of it's line: the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM. I paid over $1,000 for it, and am very happy with it. Never throwing that away...ever. But thanks, for the help. I might buy both the 24-105mm f/4L and the 18-35mm f.l.8.

My apology, the "75-300" is the junk lens without IS. I got that one as a bonus lens with my t5 several years ago and I understand why they were giving them away lol.

I'd say those 2 lenses would be a pretty good combo. Lenses, like just about everything else in life are a compromise. You can't have an ultra fast lens that can zoom from wide angle to telephoto. So to really get the best pictures in different scenarios you need to carry around multiple lenses in your camera backpack.

I generally use wide angle lenses while I'm walking around and shooting footage, especially when I'm in a tight confined area like a dealership or an indoor museum. Here's one example though where I wish I had a fast lens with greater reach so I could of zoomed in. https://youtu.be/Z87SWTviSHo

CarShowStuff
from Warsaw, Poland
ALB15, 11 October 2017, 01:38
My apology, the "75-300" is the junk lens without IS. I got that one as a bonus lens with my t5 several years ago and I understand why they were giving them away lol.

I'd say those 2 lenses would be a pretty good combo. Lenses, like just about everything else in life are a compromise. You can't have an ultra fast lens that can zoom from wide angle to telephoto. So to really get the best pictures in different scenarios you need to carry around multiple lenses in your camera backpack.

I generally use wide angle lenses while I'm walking around and shooting footage, especially when I'm in a tight confined area like a dealership or an indoor museum. Here's one example though where I wish I had a fast lens with greater reach so I could of zoomed in. https://youtu.be/Z87SWTviSHo[/quote]

Yeah...no problem dude. If my 75-300mm didn't have IS (image stabalizer) then I would...well I wouldn't have bought the lens. Do you know how to take multiple pictures during a video on you're T5? If so could you please explain to me how, because when I have it in video mode I can only take one picture, and when I do, it freezes my video for a couple secons. Any help is appreciated.
Also, I have a couple lenses in my backpack normally, but don't usually have enough time to change when spotting in the wild, so that's where the 25-104 f/4L will come in handy :)

ALB15
CarShowStuff, 11 October 2017, 06:33
I switched camps and now use a Sony a6500. Honestly I had only used video on the t5 once and I was having serious problems myself. It kept telling me I needed a class 7 speed SD card. Well I was using and even newer class 10 card but for whatever reason the camera didn't have the firmware in it to recognize later future generations of SD cards.

I was also talking to a guy at an airshow who had a brand new 7D and he said he was having issues with recording video with his camera as it would overheat the sensor and then pictures would come out distorted.

CarShowStuff
from Warsaw, Poland
ALB15, 12 October 2017, 01:22
CarShowStuff wrote:
I switched camps and now use a Sony a6500. Honestly I had only used video on the t5 once and I was having serious problems myself. It kept telling me I needed a class 7 speed SD card. Well I was using and even newer class 10 card but for whatever reason the camera didn't have the firmware in it to recognize later future generations of SD cards.

I was also talking to a guy at an airshow who had a brand new 7D and he said he was having issues with recording video with his camera as it would overheat the sensor and then pictures would come out distorted.

ok thanks for the help...how is the Sony a6500 :)

ALB15
CarShowStuff, 12 October 2017, 07:19
I love it. Don't think I'll ever go back to a DSLR after using a mirrorless

CarShowStuff
from Warsaw, Poland
ALB15, 12 October 2017, 13:30
CarShowStuff wrote:
I love it. Don't think I'll ever go back to a DSLR after using a mirrorless

Cool...and good to know. Also, I accidentally reported this comment, so sorry about that bro :l

ALB15
Post a reply