Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
DavidStainberg, 29 April 2013, 08:49
I was curious, can you make enough money with car spotting to live a decent life? I am asking because of the websites that some guys and i see that they have a lot of visitors. What do you think or know :)

DavidStainberg
from London, United Kingdom
cartmen220, 29 April 2013, 09:01
I haven't been in the business long enough to give you a solid answer but I really wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. As far as I know only 1 person on this website has made any money from spotting and that's Rupert Procter. He only got paid one time by one magazine who wanted to use one of his photos (I think). Honestly there aren't enough magazine publishers out there to buy all of our photos. If you're thinking about making money off of advertisements then sure, you'll make a dollar here or there if you become popular but definitely not enough to sustain yourself from carspotting alone. I wish buddy, I wish..

cartmen220
from New Jersey
DavidStainberg, 29 April 2013, 09:07
cartmen220 wrote:
I haven't been in the business long enough to give you a solid answer but I really wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. As far as I know only 1 person on this website has made any money from spotting and that's Rupert Procter. He only got paid one time by one magazine who wanted to use one of his photos (I think). Honestly there aren't enough magazine publishers out there to buy all of our photos. If you're thinking about making money off of advertisements then sure, you'll make a dollar here or there if you become popular but definitely not enough to sustain yourself from carspotting alone. I wish buddy, I wish..

:) It's still worth it. isn't :) Thanks for the answer! I was asking because of the videos of two particular spotters, here in Europe who have their YouTube channels and i see them driving in rather good cars. This made me wander, are they simply rich or they are making enough money with spotting so that they can afford to buy these "babies"? One of them is driving Audi R8 and the other one Alfa Romeo 8c Spider.

DavidStainberg
cartmen220, 29 April 2013, 09:13
Shmee150, aka Tim, aka owner of the purple R8 V10 spyder, works in finance which is probably how he got his money. Idk anything about that other spotter.

edit: Tim might make a couple grand every year off of his YT videos (definitely not enough to sustain his lifestyle, just some extra cash on the side) but you have to become quite popular to do so. One of the reasons he became popular in the first place is because he owned an exotic car before he even began carspotting.
Last modified by cartmen220, 29 April 2013, 13:17

cartmen220
from New Jersey
DavidStainberg, 29 April 2013, 09:19
cartmen220 wrote:
Shmee150, aka Tim, aka owner of the purple R8 V10 spyder, works in finance which is probably how he got his money. Idk anything about that other spotter.

Shmee150 is exactly the one i was talking about :) (you got me). So, good for him. The other one is Marchettino. He used to drive a Fiat 500 Abarth but now i see him with this wonderful Alfa and this got me thinking :) Btw, he has wonderful videos and has also a website and YouTube Channel etc. Definitely interesting. I recommend them.

DavidStainberg
cartmen220, 29 April 2013, 09:43
Lol I already know of Marchettino. He doesn't own an Alfa 8c spider. The one in his videos is a friends that he borrowed so that he could make the videos.

cartmen220
from New Jersey
Chloe, 29 April 2013, 15:04
Marchettino has over 100 million views and almost 100 000 subscriptions, youtube pays him a good amount of money to show those commercials on his videos.
Last modified by Chloe, 29 April 2013, 19:06
Deleted account
Forzafaithful99, 29 April 2013, 15:12
I will probably never make any money from YT because most of my videos have famous licensed songs in them. Oh well!

Forzafaithful99
Chloe, 29 April 2013, 15:16
Forzafaithful99 wrote:
I will probably never make any money from YT because most of my videos have famous licensed songs in them. Oh well!

Generally, when watching car videos, people would rather listen the cars sounds, not music.
Deleted account
Lamboshane, 29 April 2013, 18:47
Well, I make close to $500 a year on Youtube videos and I get around 40,000 views a month. I think Marchettino gets at least 2,000,000 a month, so you can definitely make some good money.

Lamboshane
from New York
cartmen220, 29 April 2013, 18:57
Well, Marchettino gets 50 times as many views as you do per month. If the views/payout ratio is consistent then he should get 50 times as much money as you do, so $25,000 a year. I think he's also one of the most (if not the most) popular carspotters too (followed by other people who have almost half the following as he does) so you shouldn't expect to even make that much. Definitely should be something done on the side imo.

cartmen220
from New Jersey
Lamboshane, 29 April 2013, 19:14
I'n hoping to be a professional photographer when I get older. Hopefully that and a job on the side will earn me enough to buy a used exotic for maybe forty or fifty grand. Then I'll still have those two jobs, and on top of that, I can take rev and burnout and other cool videos of my exotic and earn money off them from Youtube!

Lamboshane
from New York
andrewo, 29 April 2013, 19:57
I would say no. It is nothing than a fun hobby and there really isn't any significant money that could be made. Starting a new site probably wouldn't work either because there are other sites (like ES) that people already use.
Deleted account
Forzafaithful99, 29 April 2013, 20:51
Chloe wrote:
Forzafaithful99 wrote:

Generally, when watching car videos, people would rather listen the cars sounds, not music.

I know...I always don't put music when the car is making any noise.

Forzafaithful99
MNCars, 29 April 2013, 21:42
How do you make money from Youtube?

MNCars
from Burnsville, Minnesota
Post a reply