Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
911gt3rsfan, 30 January 2017, 12:44
Those of you who watch it, what are your thoughts on The Grand Tour? For me, I find it good but like everyone says too scripted and not as good as the old Top Gear. 8/10. What do you think?

911gt3rsfan
from Summit, New Jersey
Ma-auto, 30 January 2017, 21:05
It's pretty good in my opinion. Funny, but like you said, feels fairly scripted. They also seem to focus less on cars, like how they "hunted for poachers" in the beach buggy special, and dropped the stripped bodies of cars into the ocean to help with coral reefs. Just seems like a bunch of filler to me, though there are some good jokes here and there. I still look forward to it every week, so I guess that tells you something. Lol
Last modified by Ma-auto, 09 February 2017, 14:38

Ma-auto
from Boston, Massachusetts
r8lover, 30 January 2017, 21:09
I like it a lot. It's clearly not Top Gear, though that's not necessarily what they're going for. It's hard to compare it to Top Gear since it isn't quite the same show. Sure, they're similar, but they aren't the same thing.

They're really starting to get the hang of things. I mean, when people compare it to Top Gear, they compare it to stuff like season 10 or 11. Everyone seems to forget this is with a whole new team of writers who haven't quite learned exactly how to not make it feel so scripted. Top Gear had over a decade to figure that out, they've had barely a year.
Deleted account
Werner, 02 February 2017, 04:59
I think The Grand Tour is fantastic. They constantly have celebrities dying, they got to put a Porsche 918 v.s. a Ferrari La Ferrari v.s. a McLaren P1. They have an ebola virus shaped race track. They have The American as a racing driver, who is from Nascar. They are testing all of the cars that anyone cares about! The Ferrari 488, Aston Martin Vulcan, Bentley Bentayga, Hell Cat Dodge Challenger. We have a show that still has the Top Gear trio, even the 2002-2015 Top Gear producer, Andy Wilman!

Werner
from Coeur d'Alene, United States
Ferrarifanman, 09 February 2017, 08:38
I love it. There are definitely some things that don't work for me. The celebrity dying gag got old after the first time, hopefully they get rid of it next season. I don't mind that they're not AS car-centric as old Top Gear, because even in their non-car related bits, they still manage to fit some sort of car into it. It's still pretty funny, and I think no matter how hard they try, it won't capture the magic of old Top Gear. But with a few fixes, they can definitely get close. I'd give it at least an 8.5 or a 9/10.

Ferrarifanman
Post a reply