Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
What makes a car exotic? Rare or expensive?
Rare

Expensive

Total: 17
Mustang7, 24 July 2017, 20:22
I would say that rare makes a car exotic

Mustang7
from Pennsylvania
FanOfSuperCars, 24 July 2017, 21:25
It really depends. Not everything rare is exotic and not everything expensive is exotic.

FanOfSuperCars
from Middle Of The Ocean, Unknown Country
pdkcars, 24 July 2017, 22:17
Well when it comes to cars I go by just one of the many definitions of exotic:

- "of a kind not used for ordinary purposes or not ordinarily encountered"

Basically anything out of the ordinary. An Audi S8 is exotic or at least interesting in my eyes. I don't see one every day and it's not typically bought by your average well-off executive because they usually buy Audi A8s as it gets the job done good enough for them.

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
Mustang7, 04 August 2017, 14:57
Come on people, please vote

Mustang7
from Pennsylvania
ScarredHyena, 06 August 2017, 04:31
Definitely rarity.
Deleted account
Maryland_Cars, 06 August 2017, 15:25
Really does depend, I think rarity and price both play a part in an exotic...

Maryland_Cars
from Kent Island, Maryland
pdkcars, 06 August 2017, 16:31
I always think about depreciation when it comes to price lol. For example I saw a sakhir orange M6 last month. It is a $115K car new. But now it's worth $40-50K used. Same with the XKR-S, it depreciated just as bad.

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
hyoung90, 06 August 2017, 20:49
Definitely rarity.

A ghibli for example is stupid expensive for its size and poor quality but I would never call it exotic. Same goes for other convenient luxury cars like the Levante, Stelvio, Quadrofoglio, Teslas, most AMGs, and most //M etc etc

hyoung90
from Dallas, Texas
Mustang7, 06 August 2017, 23:09
pdkcars wrote:
I always think about depreciation when it comes to price lol. For example I saw a sakhir orange M6 last month. It is a $115K car new. But now it's worth $40-50K used. Same with the XKR-S, it depreciated just as bad.

Yeah and the Viper, 90s Vipers can be $20,000

Mustang7
from Pennsylvania
Mazdafreak, 07 August 2017, 02:29
I'd say rare. Lotuses aren't terribly expensive (especially used), but they're really hard to spot (at least in NC). By contrast, Mercedes AMG G-Classes and higher-spec Land Rovers are really expensive but aren't exotic.
Last modified by Mazdafreak, 07 August 2017, 02:31

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
Adam M, 07 August 2017, 08:10
You see some BMW's and Mercedes retail at over £100k and I see loads of them. I wouldn't consider most of them exotic at all. It's the rarity of the car for sure! You can pick up an old Ferrari Mondial for the price of a fully specced Mondeo!!

Adam M
from Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
pdkcars, 07 August 2017, 17:07
I'd say area counts if you're gonna go by rarity.

Don't forget that in places like Los Angeles, Huracans are not rare by far. Most mid-range super cars/GT cars are commonplace in certain areas of the city and are like Corvettes down here.

A BMW M5/M6 or Mercedes S63 AMG might not be rare where you guys live but it isn't something you see everyday here. The last Audi RS7, Nardo Grey, I saw was back in April. How many Ferraris have I seen since then though? About 5. I think of cars like that as unicorns here because they're just not all over the place like they are in Houston or Chicago, etc. I have seen more "exotic" exotics spotting in rich areas than I have M cars and certain AMG models.

I just go by anything that looks unusual that you wouldn't see at your local market. A Corvette isn't terribly unusual. A C63 might not be (it isn't here) or an M3. But an M6? A S63? RS7? I'd freak out if I went to Wal Mart and saw one of those! :D
Last modified by pdkcars, 07 August 2017, 17:09

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
Mustang7, 12 August 2017, 19:34
pdkcars wrote:
I'd say area counts if you're gonna go by rarity.

Don't forget that in places like Los Angeles, Huracans are not rare by far. Most mid-range super cars/GT cars are commonplace in certain areas of the city and are like Corvettes down here.

A BMW M5/M6 or Mercedes S63 AMG might not be rare where you guys live but it isn't something you see everyday here. The last Audi RS7, Nardo Grey, I saw was back in April. How many Ferraris have I seen since then though? About 5. I think of cars like that as unicorns here because they're just not all over the place like they are in Houston or Chicago, etc. I have seen more "exotic" exotics spotting in rich areas than I have M cars and certain AMG models.

I just go by anything that looks unusual that you wouldn't see at your local market. A Corvette isn't terribly unusual. A C63 might not be (it isn't here) or an M3. But an M6? A S63? RS7? I'd freak out if I went to Wal Mart and saw one of those! :D

Exactly

Mustang7
from Pennsylvania
Post a reply