Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
A_A_L, 12 January 2015, 20:24
I like it. I think it's a good modern design. Especially from this angle...

[http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Ford-GT-concept-105-876x535.jpg]
Deleted account
wtfsia69, 12 January 2015, 20:31
To all the people condemning it and its lack of heritage, yeah sure it lacks a manual transmission and a big V8 that represents the typical American muscle which I wouldn't have mind, but remember a large reason the original Ford GT40 was commisioned was with the purpose of giving Ferrari something to worry about back in the day and I think Ford has successfully managed to do that again with the new Ford GT.

wtfsia69
Mazdafreak, 12 January 2015, 20:50
W16 wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:
No manual = FAIL.

No reason to buy it when it doesn't have anything relating to heritage other than name and design.

How about people buy it for its insane performance and presence? You know, like the reasons why people buy supercars in the first place?

Unless you actually race competitively and tenths of a second are vitally crucial, there's not really a perceivable difference in performance between automatics and manuals. I don't see why exotic car owners are so wrapped up in this absolute performance craze; I've met numerous exotic car owners who had the option of ordering their car with a manual transmission but didn't, all because the automatic equipped cars "accelerate faster." WHY? Why does it matter if it gets to 60 .2 seconds quicker if you aren't racing for a living? Because you want to brag about your car to your neighbors?

I met the owner of a 2013 Gallardo last summer, one of the very few 2013 models in the world with a manual. I asked him why he got it with the stick, and he said "because I don't live on a race track. Also, manuals are more fun to drive, and the driving experience should be the first priority in an exotic."

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
jkljosiah, 12 January 2015, 20:55
Mazdafreak wrote:
W16 wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:
No manual = FAIL.

No reason to buy it when it doesn't have anything relating to heritage other than name and design.

How about people buy it for its insane performance and presence? You know, like the reasons why people buy supercars in the first place?

Unless you actually race competitively and tenths of a second are vitally crucial, there's not really a perceivable difference in performance between automatics and manuals. I don't see why exotic car owners are so wrapped up in this absolute performance craze; I've met numerous exotic car owners who had the option of ordering their car with a manual transmission but didn't, all because the automatic equipped cars "accelerate faster." WHY? Why does it matter if it gets to 60 .2 seconds quicker if you aren't racing for a living? Because you want to brag about your car to your neighbors?

I met the owner of a 2013 Gallardo last summer, one of the very few 2013 models in the world with a manual. I asked him why he got it with the stick, and he said "because I don't live on a race track. Also, manuals are more fun to drive, and the driving experience should be the first priority in an exotic."

people who spend 300k on a stock car solely because it gets to 60 in 2.7 are morons anyway, you can easily build something that is faster for 1/20th the price.

jkljosiah
andrewo, 12 January 2015, 20:56
Mazdafreak wrote:
I don't see why exotic car owners are so wrapped up in this absolute performance craze; I've met numerous exotic car owners who had the option of ordering their car with a manual transmission but didn't, all because the automatic equipped cars "accelerate faster."

Is it Ford's fault for catering to the desires of people who will actually buy the car?
Deleted account
Mazdafreak, 12 January 2015, 20:58
andrewo wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:
I don't see why exotic car owners are so wrapped up in this absolute performance craze; I've met numerous exotic car owners who had the option of ordering their car with a manual transmission but didn't, all because the automatic equipped cars "accelerate faster."

Is it Ford's fault for catering to the desires of people who will actually buy the car?

People bought the last gen model, and it didn't have any of this automatic nonsense.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
r8lover, 12 January 2015, 22:27
Mazdafreak wrote:
andrewo wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:

People bought the last gen model, and it didn't have any of this automatic nonsense.

This "automatic nonsense" didn't really exist back then. Okay well it did, but at least not to this extent. The transmissions were either slow automatics or expensive paddle shifts.
Deleted account
andrewo, 12 January 2015, 22:32
Mazdafreak wrote:
andrewo wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:

Ford is in business to make money, not to appease online commenters. I too would prefer a manual but Ford has no reason to make one if it doesn't make financial sense.
Deleted account
r8lover, 12 January 2015, 22:36
Mazdafreak wrote:

That .2 seconds is a decent amount more when you're not a perfect stick driver, especially when there are several other things that you have to do correctly to get a perfect acceleration time. My dad could have bought his Boxster with a manual, and, spoiler alert, he didn't. I've driven that and two manual cars (a sports car and an older supercar) and I've never once felt like the PDK detracted from the experience in any way.

Sure, manuals are fun in some cars, but I feel like those are now better fit for sports cars than they are supercars.

Also, don't forget that (from what I've heard) this Ford GT is supposed to go on to become a race car. Meaning, that those tenths of seconds will be important later on. Plus I doubt that Ford would want to spend the money to develop a transmission that very few people will buy and that they'll never end up using again.
Last modified by r8lover, 13 January 2015, 04:38
Deleted account
beckerman, 12 January 2015, 23:57
I see hints of Marussia, LaFerrari, and a new car caled "Mild Stupidity"

beckerman
from Hoyt, Kansas
Eeti, 13 January 2015, 04:12
wtfsia69 wrote:
but remember a large reason the original Ford GT40 was commisioned was with the purpose of giving Ferrari something to worry about back in the day and I think Ford has successfully managed to do that again with the new Ford GT.

Well if this is going against the 458, with the new turbo 458 coming out I don't think Ferrari has much to worry about.
Deleted account
venomgt95, 13 January 2015, 06:44
I love the looks. The shape of the lights (i mean the LED's themselves) are a reminder of the GT90 concept, and THAT is cool in itself.

[http://www.netcarshow.com/Ford-GT-2017-wallpaper.jpg]

[http://www.carsbase.com/photo/Ford-GT90_mp8_pic_44727.jpg]

venomgt95
from Belding, Michigan
Mazdafreak, 13 January 2015, 10:10
r8lover wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:
andrewo wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:

This "automatic nonsense" didn't really exist back then. Okay well it did, but at least not to this extent. The transmissions were either slow automatics or expensive paddle shifts.

Pretty sure Ferrari already had the F1 transmission in place in the F360 at the time?

Also, the last Corvette Z06/ZR1 was only offered with a manual, and they raced them with automatic/paddle shift transmissions just a few years ago.

I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'd never buy a car without a clutch pedal, but a lot of exotic car owners won't. I heard that only about 56% of Ferrari buyers actually enjoyed driving, and they don't offer manual transmissions in their cars anymore. Coincidence?

What designates a sports car today? I've always thought of the Boxster/Cayman as a sports car, as well as lower end 911's, whereas the upper end 911's (GT3, Turbo/S, etc) were more supercars.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
W16, 13 January 2015, 12:28
Mazdafreak wrote:
I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'd never buy a car without a clutch pedal, but a lot of exotic car owners won't. I heard that only about 56% of Ferrari buyers actually enjoyed driving, and they don't offer manual transmissions in their cars anymore. Coincidence?

Your obsession and elitism toward the manual transmission is a bit annoying. I agree that it can be more fun given the situation but not everyone is a driving enthusiast and a lot of these owners are not. And of course it's not a coincidence, as Andrew said the companies will not develop things that go against what their buyers are looking for.

W16
from Pennsylvania
Mazdafreak, 13 January 2015, 14:05
W16 wrote:
Mazdafreak wrote:

Your obsession and elitism toward the manual transmission is a bit annoying. I agree that it can be more fun given the situation but not everyone is a driving enthusiast and a lot of these owners are not. And of course it's not a coincidence, as Andrew said the companies will not develop things that go against what their buyers are looking for.

Well, I'll stop I guess, once I move to Europe.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
Post a reply